17" alloys and handling

Radleigh

Im currently on 16" Speedlines, but am toying with a set of 17x8" Compomotive alloys

Just want some views/opinions on 17" alloys and handling? will it be ok, will it cause problems with drive shafts even though I dont use my GTiR for launching?

Thanks, Radleigh :-D

PS: Ive done a search, but cant seem to find an answer:roll:

Last edited:

rayman75

i had 17's on mine yes they looked good, but the handling didnt feel right a bit boat like, i have gone down to 15's and the car feels alot more confident in the corners and it feels i have more grip, it was a deffo improvement over 17's.

i would stick with the 16's as you have the best of both worlds, look good and good handling.

youngsyp

And Compomotive aren't the lightest wheels at the best of times so, a 17"x8" MO will weigh a lot....... probably something like 22 Kg's, without the tyre.
This will cause problems for acceleration, braking and general handling.

Paul

Mr GTiR

I've had 16" and 17" alloys and tbh, I could not feel the difference! I've had 3 sets of 17" and two of the sets are prob the lightest you can buy (Buddy Club and OZ Supperleggars)!

IMO, I think it's a load of b0ll0cks!

John

Im running 17 inch OZ superturismo's and I cant say the handling is bad whatsoever, ride is pretty poor though, although id say thats half the alloys half the suspension!

Then again I had to have my Tein adjustables all set up properly to accomidate the 17's which was a bit of a hassle.

dobby

Well when I had 17inch super turismos the handling wasnt too bad. but when i went to 15's the difference became more noticable.
The 17's make the car feel held back or lazy. It seems harder to turn the steering wheel at speed. Breaking seems to take more effort. Acceleration is deffinately affected.
The downside to 15's I found is that I can get wheelspin in 1st and 2nd. I got Yoko parada spec 2's on which helps but also high speed cornering isnt the same as with 17's. I cant find the grip I want with the 15's. And it is there with the 17's.

Mr GTiR

I've never had 15" so can't comment on them but between 16" and 17" wheels IMO there is no difference.

gunmetalgtir

I've had 14's, 15's, 16's and 17's and you definitely notice a difference with the 17's! Handling is a lot worse than 15's and 16's with the 17's also the acceleration does suffer greatly compared to 14's!

warringtonjack

gunmetalgtir said:
I've had 14's, 15's, 16's and 17's and you definitely notice a difference with the 17's! Handling is a lot worse than 15's and 16's with the 17's also the acceleration does suffer greatly compared to 14's!
Unless of course the 17s are actually lighter than the 15s! ;)