You could not have written this.........

scottyd

Well R ownership is brilliant, lives up to and exceeds my expectations everything was going great until............................
.........someone crashed into me today, absoultley gutted, im still waiting to have a good cry to be honest, i think i'm still in shock.

I was at a cross roads, waiting for a clearing so i could pull out, a friendly bus driver to my right stopped to let me out as the traffic in that direction was quite busy, so i checked everything was clear and safe for me to go and turn right and pulled away, then i seen a car come straight out of the junction opposite where i was, not looking what he was doing and you know the rest, disaster.

I reversed, and then pulled my car to a safe place out of the way of traffic, as did the other driver, except i could hear my drivers side wheel rubbing on the arch, fan-titty-tastic, my car is fooked.

Funnily enough, i was rather calm, no fit of rage even though that is what i imagine my first reaction to be, instead i was/tried to be relaxed, i got out of the car, and got called over by the bus driver saying he saw exactly what happened, and he gave me his name, address and contact number in case i needed it for insurance purposes as backup, that raised my spirit to say the least.

I went over to see the driver of the other car, he was an older man around about retiring age, and i really didn't know what to say to him, but i was as polite as i could, the first thing i can remember saying is "come on, you pulled straight out on me", which he replied "i know, but i was going that way", to be honest going that way is no excuse to drive into someone really is it!

So he insisted he wanted the police present, to which i told him it's not really a matter to be wasting police time for, rather insurance companies, but none-the-less, he called the police, who when arrived, meerley took both our names, asked if we had each others insurance details, then let the other guy go as his car was driveable as on first sight was only panel damage.

I spoke to the policeman, and asked if he could help me get the car picked up, as i was not just going to leave it, i explained that it could not simply be towed, but had to be put on a truck and moved because of the 4wd, the policeman sorted this out for me then left when the pick up guy came.

At this time, i knew i had to take things into my own hands, because no insurance company or anybody else for that matter would have acted as fast, so i phoned Steve at Tom Fergusons, really i can't fault this guy, he asked if i needed him to pick the car up, but i told him it was already done, so he told me to bring it straight down and he would sort it for me. (although the pick up guy charged me £140 to take it down to steve, but to be honest i couldnt care less as i wanted my car in safe hands)

Finally i get the car to Steve, who seemed relieved that there was not as much damage as expected (me too, phew), he said i could leave it there for him to have a look at until i sort the insurance company out. Anyways it turns out the damage is as follows:
-Bent steering rack arm
-broken wishbone
-broken indicator
-cosmetics (scuffs on front bumper and wing + bumper partially off) not much.
But Steve said he could provide a damage report for the insurers if and when they need it.

Got home phoned insurance company...blah...blah...blah, i had 2 options, go through legal protection (claim all of other insurance, my policy unaffected) or pay excess, and then claim it off other insurance company (but my poicy is affected), i chose not to have my policy affected as i was not in the wrong. So i am now waiting for the legal protection people to sort this out with the other people and insurers before i can get my car fixed or even get a courtesy car, but bearing in mind i don't think the guy is going to take responsibility for his actions, which could leave me up shit creek, but i do have a witness to vouch for me, so i hope it helps to get things sorted for me in the way that it should.

Just think this whole incident looks a bit cliche', young driver, fast car, on the road for 2 weeks e.t.c., but thats not how it is, and it makes me sick thinking that it may even be portraid like this. I just want my car back................

Thought i would share this with you guys as im feeling a bit shitty and have nothing else to do......................its not as if i can go anywhere ha.

Big respect to Steve Ferguson though for helping me so far, i would be completley fooked if it weren't for him.

Last edited:

pulsar_stu

Sorry to hear this mate!!!

have you been intouch with the bus company?? if the bus driver was letting you out, then he should of seen exactly what hapend :thumbsup:

Hope you get it sorted and fixed soon mate.

nimhbk

Well look on the bright side you do have his details...
my r got hit three weeks after getting it while it was parked up on a street, the horror when i returned, no details of what happened, apart from it must of been a blue transit van
To be fair i just laughed, and to said to myself thank god i did not that get a dc5...
about one half grand later (and about a two month wait as the pannels came from japan) and a new back end, i got it back.

M

m34ts_pulsar

fookin hell thats sh1t mate, you should be ok though as the bus driver was there to see it and to back you up.. wouldnt like to thing what would happen if you didnt have him though!

good luck mate!;-)

scottyd

Thanks Stu and m34ts, appreciate it.

and nimkbk, funny you should say that, because i found that for some strange reason i laughed too once i looked at my car, must be one of the last things on the "list of logic" for someone to do under these circumstances!

nimhbk

there was no way i was going to cry, which was the other option,
my good lady laughted as well as she hates the car.
thank god i did not get the honda thou it would of cost a fortune to repair, that on top of the cost of the thing. and i was so so close

ChrisS

Really sorry for you Scott. Hopefully there isnt any more damage that cant be seen. GOing through legal cover is a nightmare tbh. You could be waiting 12 months + to try and get it sorted, but insurance isnt a whole lot better as you have the nonsense of back and forth who's to blaim ect.

scottyd

Thanks Chris, i know the insurance may be a nightmare, but at the end of the day, insurance or not, the car is getting fixed, and it will still be getting the special treatment that we talked about, more power, more torque e.t.c, it is going to take a lot more than this to put me off.:twisted:

What dosen't kill you makes you stronger and all that, in the grand scheme of things, it's a very small set-back, The car WILL be amazing once i am finished with it.:thumbsup:

Lets just think of things like this as "character building";-)

ChrisS

Was thinking about the insurance bit Scott. If the other bloke is claiming off his anyhow which i presume he is, then your insurance company is going to get involved with it regardless.

Gray

If you have a witness who is willing to back you up then happy days - i had a crash 2 years ago and he tried to blame it all on me but thw witness and me said the truth so he didnt have a leg to stand on. PLUS he's HIT you not you hit him which automatically means he's at fault unless he can prove otherwise which he can't as he should of give way. Don't worry. Doesn't sound too bad - no need to fret!!

abyss

Hope things work out for you mate but with legal protection claims they can take months to sort out pain in the **** but hang in there as it aint your fault. Your insurance company will get involved they will put accross your case to Third party insurers they admit liablility then they sort out repairs to your car. But pick a body shop you want lol some of the body shops insurers put you with car rank.

scottyd

Yeah, the bus driver was really canny, he said that he saw the whole thing, the other guy pulled out on me while i was already in the middle of the road about to turn and he drove straight into me, this means that even though there were give way lines on the other drivers road, he still pulled out when the road wasnt clear as i was there, so he was in the wrong based on that fact! the bus driver wrote down his deatails for me and said he would be willing to act as a witness. I hope this is enough to sort things out propperly, i'm just waiting on the "Legal services" people to contact me again, probably on monday so they can find out what is happening with the other guys insurance etc etc. I will keep you guys informed.

Abyss, i have already told the insurance company that i will only be taking my car to the people i know, therefore my car is with Steve at Tom Fergusons, and he is going to sort out repairs including bodywork, the guy i spoke to from the insurance company seemed to undersand and said that should not be a problem as long as i explain that when the time comes.

The waiting game commences........................

Last edited:

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah - if you had right of way & the tp has exited the give way then he is at fault. Who ever has right of way isnt at fault. Deffo go through your legal expenses - they'll help you out, outside of insurance so it wont affect your policy.

Who are you insured with ?

The legal team take ages to contact you - so id expect them to reach you by the end of the week!

Good luck!

scottyd

Well, the insurance company got back to me today, the other party has, surprise surprise, said it was my fault, but one consolation, the witness backed up my description of events and said it was not my fault, but it seems that it is not that easy, and i forsee alot of waiting around and pissing about to come.:roll:

And apparently I have a great chance of being discriminated against due to my age and car, "being tarnished with the same brush" is the statement that was used. Excellent, nice to see things are being kept nice and fair:roll:

Good thing is, the woman that I am dealing with from the insurance company is being very helpful, and seems to be doing her very best to help me. I have got to write a statement and draw up some diagrams to show what happened, and hopefully they can see that it was not my fault, but only time will tell..................

Plus, my neck is killing, stiff as a board, the tablets i have seem to be playing fun and games with my bodily functions, and i am scared of driving my car incase it happens again. I love life.