Would you sell a turbo like this????

johnsy

Hold the bus!

Im afraid this guy is just trying to get the sympathy vote now!

The turbo was never advrtised as it was still fitted to the car when i posted i was breaking my car just before xmas.Josh contacted me through pm saying he wanted the turbo and ecu,he paid a deposit before xmas and settled in january,

Josh you paid £750 For the turbo kit(manifold,spacers,ss lines,basically what i bought off Danny) and the greddy emanage blue ecu including cable(winks at irvine) and cd,delivery on the turbo came to £47, now i know you aint recieved the ecu but that is only because the loom that comes with it is still fitted to the car and iv been real busy of late (it will be posted this week)not really a valid excuse i know sorry

as for the crack,had you sent me a picture i would of known exactly what you meant,i took the way you described it as you dropped it and cracked the turbine housing,as you also claim the housing was loose! it certainly wasnt loose when i sent it,
I was unaware there was a crack in the exhaust housing(gods honest truth) That turbo never exceeded 1 bar on my car, The car was always allowed to get upto temp and cool down, i even went as far as 2 cool down laps on the only track day it did in my car(Bob can vouch for that " why is Daaaan going so slow" in my best essex accent,),and it only covered about 800-1000 mile before my engine perished,

You have not been deceived or bumped or ripped off, it was never advertised nor did i ever claim it was new.Just fit it too your car rand enjoy it!

I believe the answer is YES i would buy that turbo! If id changed my mind and decided i was gonna keep my car id hav it off you in a heart beat,The car was a hole different monster with that tubby,ARC IC.AND rb gearbox

Dan

Josh5794

Thanks for the reply johnsy this could have been resolved a lot better if you would have just have listened and not tried to push the blame to my guys causing damage I am happy with the purchase but I was unsure about the crack as you would be Yourself. I wasn't trying to get money back I just wanted to sort out the problem as for the ecu I'm not fussed whenever your ready to post that is fine

johnsy

Pictures speak a thousand words!

Look at it from my point of view, you advertised it for sale or swap for bigger tubby(had you fitted it? and decided it was'nt enough?) Then send me a half arsed explanation of what some guy on the phone said..........what was i supposed to think

so do you still believe the guy on the phone trying to drum up some business or the members who know what there talking about?

johnny gtir

800 to 1000 mile no where near that dan 600 tops surly ? If it helps josh dan got the turbo off danny put it on his car it worked perfect done very little milage one bar boost and never flickered once and i was there the last time the car was running and it was working no issues. The housin had been rotated but surly it needs to be where it is to clear everything unless its now getting top mounted ?

As has been said by many experienced members already there's not alot wrong with that turbo. The comments from a certain turbo supplier are quite honesty scare mongering profiteering BS. TMF (thermo-mechanical fatigure) effects nearly all turbine housings, especially waste gated ones. Most if not all turbo manufacturers have issues with cracking although 99% don't lead to warranty issues.

In your case please consider that the radial clearance on the turbine wheel is likely to be between 0.4 and 0.7mm the thermal expansion coefficient of gray cast iron is 10e-6 m/m/K. So if you measure the distance from the turbine housing to the wheel (I'll guess at 15mm) and assume the max temperature to be 750 deg C the most thermal expansion you are likley to see is 0.1mm so very unlikely to cause an issue with contact unless the bearings are on the way out.

I also think is pretty ironic you have the gall to complain that the crack wasn't mentioned when it was sold to you but there is no mention of it in this post: http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?63743-Turbo-swap-!

Clearly it concerns you so did you not think it would concern the person you were trying pass the turbo on to?

Last edited:

geoff pine

I think if it had a crack in the housing it should have been mentioned in the sales details i have bought two second hand turbos in the past and none of them had cracks in them .Having said that the crack is unlikely to effect the turbos performance any way.

williams

I think if it had a crack in the housing it should have been mentioned in the sales details i have bought two second hand turbos in the past and none of them had cracks in them .Having said that the crack is unlikely to effect the turbos performance any way.
i dont think he actually ever advertised it as being for sale, he mentioned he was breaking the car and the vultures swooped lol. if he did advertise it, it was still fitted to the car till it was removed to be posted aswell so he wouldnt have known.