Worst news I had on my R

Bart GTI-R

Hi There, did a compression test today after work was going ok till I got to No. 4

No.1 = 165
No. 2 = 170
No. 3 = 165

No. 4 = 30

I put a drop of oil on the piston and it went up to 40 psi shortly then dropped to 30 again, Im gonna do a leak down test over the weekend hopefully and see what it is (Inlet, Exhaust or piston Rings) anyone else had this.
30 psi is well low

Cheers

P

pulsarboby

bad news im afraid!
would take a guess at worn rings and or piston, if reading goes up with oil down bore, may even have a broken ring and marked up cylinder!

Chris1

Hey mate.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Piston n.o 4 does sound rather poorly.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Chin up old fruit.

Cheers,

Chris.

KF79GTIR

Bad news buddy let her warm up for 5 mins pull the dipstick out and rev it on the throttle control if you see smoke pour out your dip stick hole then it is more than likely worn rings or even worse cylinder damage to go with it.. sorry to be a bearer of bad news but i do know how you feel if you do decide to get it rebuilt i know of a good person who will rebuild it for you at a good price

Bart GTI-R

Cheers for the reply guys, I thought it was wierd but sometimes the car would go like a Rocket but when it did play up it felt like runnin on 3 cylinders, there were a few posts a while back with some guys having the same symptoms I had.. deeper exhaust note etc, Would recomend you carry out a Compression test chaps and rule out the expensive one.

Will let you know KF79GTIR if I decide to rebuild, might even have a go myself If I can find somewhere decent to store it whilst I do it.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

or you could buy one of my good engines (will work out a lot cheaper);-)

Bart GTI-R

Will let you know then mate, might not be so bad if its just a valve, how much are your engines by the way

Cheers

P

pulsarboby

good standard one (can be seen running) is £800, has excellent oil pressure and psi cylinder readings!
or i have another with a blown h/g which i may rebuild to whatever spec anyone needs, or will just renew h/g and get head leak tested! this can also be seen running, still in cars!

Bart GTI-R

Did the leak test today after work, the block isnt leaking so the rings are ok, also checked for smoke from dip stick to make sure, all ok. Number 2 was leaking tonight from exhaust and inlet and also number 4 so I imagine the valves are sticking thats why it runs ok sometimes ( i think anyway), you still got that cylidner head pulsarboby

Cheers Gregg

P

pulsarboby

no thats now sold, but i do have another head, but theres a valve and spring missing, so it will need a good one off your head fitted and lapped in!