Wont turn over

Jonnie R

Hi

Having trouble getting my R to turn over. I have put a new battery in, a reconned starter motor on, checked all the fuses and still have the same problem. Everything else seems fine except wont turn over... it doesn't even click (as you would expect from drained battery)

Is there anything else anyone can think of trying before I assume its the immobiliser?

Thanks in advance

Jonnie R

Just to add, when I used to connect the battery the alarm would always sound, but now it doesn't. Does it sound likely that I have a probl;em with the alarm system?

Thanks

ollydj

check your earths behind the nearside head light, i had the same fault once turned out to be that

Fusion Ed

Run a wire from the battery to the starter signal on the starter motor and see if it turns over then.

Jonnie R

Thanks for replies guys. I checked the alarm system for any reset options and fuses but couldn't find anything and double checked all connections on the starter. I will check all earths and try running a 12v feed directly to the starter on Friday when I get home. I'm hoping it is a simple problem such as an earth.

Thanks
J

Jonnie R

Right then gents,

I have tested the earths to the battery in the boot and behind nearside head light and both are good. The is also 12.38v reaching the starter. When applying the 12v directly from the battery which terminal is the starter signal - is it the one where the short cable runs from the solenoid to the motor??

Just to add, since it last turned over I ahve had the rear arches welded. The battery was removed and as far as I can remember the positive cable for the battery did not come into contact with the chassis/boot but I cannot be 100% certain. I've heard horror stories about ecu's frying and am starting to worry however I am trying to convince myself its ok as the fuel pump operates and the AVCR boost controller is unaffected. Could anyone put my mind at rest or confirm my concern?? Is this something that could result from a shagged ecu and how would I test an Apexi FC ecu?

Also, I think I have eliminated the potential immobiliser problem by waiting till the immobiliser kicks in and then turning ignition. The fuel pump does not start where as it does when the immobiliser is deactivated - is this a safe assumption to make??

I'm starting to run out of ideas. If anyone could let me know re starter signal location I will try that tonite.

Thanks in advance

williams

have you disconnected anything else? not sure what its called but there is a silver box that needs to be plugged in, plugs is on loom next to AFM plug, it wont turn over without this connected.

Jonnie R

Thanks williams, I tried that and all was ok. Shortly after I connected a female spade connector to the starter switch (spade) and fed a wire to the battery, it fires and runs sweet as a nut. So the problem is somewhere between the starter and ignition which is preventing a signal. I will keep on going to see if I can resolve the issue but if not I may wire a push start button somewhere in the car. Relieved no serious damage has been caused from the welding.

Thanks

williams

why was the starter changed? did the other starter die or could it not be down to the problem you have now? if it was the actual starter that died then id expect the problem to be starter not connected up right or a loose/missing connection.

Jonnie R

Hi Williams,

This is my project R (still being built) and after the front end was finished and car was running I took it round the block and parked it in my garage so that I could work on the back end + get welding done. Once the back end was completed the problem surfaced. As nothing had been touched in the engine bay, I thought at the time it could be 1 of 4 things the immobiliser, starter, battery or fuses. Most of the parts on the car have been replaced or uprated except for the starter. I had very minor coolant leak from the rear of the engine and after discovering that the rear brake lines needed replacing I thought I may as well replace the starter while the inlet was off sorting the above issues. Now it seems that it is/was not the starter but I think it was a wise idea getting a recon as the unit was 17yrs old.

Now that I have to feed 12v to the starter in order to start the car I am warming to the idea of a push start button. Got a mate to help me this afternoon to see if we can solve the issue but if not it will have to be a puch start button or key switch

williams

i would start at the starter motor with a multi meter tracing back through the wiring a bit at a time till you find where the signal stops.

Jonnie R

After I got it to turn over and fire using the 12v feed I filled with coolant, there was still a leak from behind the engine so I've been busy stripping the inlet off... again! to resolve the issue. Coolant leak is now sorted + inlet back on and before I did any additional electrical testing I gave the car the once over checking to make sure everything was in order whilst running up to temp. Once the car was up to temp a signifiant transmission fluid leak presented itself. I knew the transfer box had a minor leak but this is the first time the Quaife has ran to temp. Following this I lost my enthusiasm and called it a day.

When I get home on Friday I'll spin the car round so that its easier to work on (now that it runs again). I'll spend Fri afternoon and Sat trying to resolve the electrical fault and carry out additional checks on the transmission. If I have no luck + conclude leaking seals I'm going to have to remove both transfer box and gear box ready for gearboxman (unless anyone can suggest an alternative - cheaper + better turnaround time?). Not something I had anticipated.

P

pulsarboby

the reason its probably leaking is that i bet you havent used a bead of sealant where the gearbox mates to the transferbox!!! make sure its sealed around the perimiters of the mating oil seals.

starter may be a simple case of the small ign spade connector has come loose or fallen off, this will render the solenoid dead as a dodo lol