Wont start

PulsarTom

Fired the R up and drove her out of the garage. Soon as i hit the driveway i turned her off so it wouldnt upset the baby(noise). Got her all pluged in and went to start her, the car just kept on clicking and was having none of it. I tried jump starting her, bumping her, then i tried tapping the starter motor, everytime i hit it, i got sparks?! didnt think that was right?? also could it be my immobiliser playing around. Also disconnected the battery and that didnt help. Any help greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds like an immobiliser to me - this may sound stupid, but you did disarm it again when you went to restart it didn't you?
I only ask because they are meant to be self-arming if the ignition is off for more than a couple of minutes, and that's caught me out a couple of times. Especially if I opened the doors (so the alarm is off) and put some stuff in the boot, by the time I get into the driver's seat the engine is immobilised again... and I'll sit there trying to crank it (and getting no ignition) until I realise that the <ANTILOCK> light hasn't come on and turn the immobiliser back off. What makes this even funnier is when I leave my car with someone else and they think the fob for the doors at work is the immobiliser, and wave it all over the dashboard in an effort to make the car go!
Of course, if you did disarm it, it might be acting-up and not turning off like it's meant to.

Actually... now that I re-read your post, that does sound a little like a dead battery. Enough juice to open the solenoid, but not enough to spin the motor up and engage the flywheel. Seeing as you checked that, I wonder if the big power cable to your starter has come off (or is loose) - the solenoid opens, but because it has a poor contact the motor doesn't get any power? Might explain why you get sparks when the lead touches it again momentarily.

rams_pulsar

i'd look to make sure the wire that goes from the alternator to the starter is still connected and is getting a good connection as the connector can corrode and make the connection shite therefore breaking the curcuit thats needed for the starter to turn over...................the spark is just because its metal on metal and its shorting out off the terminal on starter motor

PulsarTom

Yeah cheerz guys for your replys. I checked the starter motor and the earth wire had riggled lose!! thanks again

GTiR-Aholic

i had same prob.. I got a long screwdriver with car up on ramps, fed it through from bottom up to the starter and had my brother put a luve lead from the battery to it, got her started and got me home lol. Same prob as urs tho although its never happened again touch wood.

PulsarTom

lol yeah, i just put a new engine, clutch, turbo on her, so was not wanting to spend any more cash on her just yet

djdoc360

I had the same problem. It turn out to be my engine was not grounded good. Made my own grounding kit and now it starts up like a champ.