Wont start looks like solenoid or starter motor??

Hi guys,

Lookin for some help here.

Car started this morning albeit only just. Went to BP station filled up wont start just bearly kicked over about once tried again DEAD. Got push start drove for 25km to destination had lunch, car wont start for return trip push start again. Get back home.

Test battery voltage 12.00v after trying to start it a few times was up at 13v so battery is fine. The battery voltage drops down by .2v when trying to start so battery is fine. What do you guys think??

Can here solenoid flicking in when trying to start engine not turning over.
What do you reckon is going on?? I think it's my starter motor/solenoid has failed/bad connection. :evil:

Hmm you guys must be all asleep up north.

Im sure it's the starter motor now i twacked it with a hammer and it nearly starts so looks like the brushes are caput BUGGER. :x

Looks expensive to replace aswell pulled off most of the surrounding parts today and gave up need to take plenum off screw that time to pay a mechanic to do it.

P

paulrandy

changed mine this morning, took an hour and a half. remove top mount, air box pipe, dump valve pipe, get your hand down the back and remove the wires, undo the 2 bell housing bolts, jack up the front remove drivers wheel, drive shaft and oil filter, the starter can come out underneath then.

What about the brackets holding the intercooler? And i could only get my hand on it from the passenger side not to the wires at the back let alone the bolts that hold it on i'll have another look.

J

JohnnyGTiR

The starter can be pulled out a number of ways.
If your car has the big Y bracket that holds the plenum, the bolts for it must be removed, all the wiring on it unclipped and then the bracket must be pushed as far out of the way as possible. Then the starter can be removed a number of ways:

From the passanger side along the firewall after removing the gearbox strap and intercooler support bracket.

Through the wheel arch on the drivers side by removing the oil filter and popping the tierod end (this is how i did mine two weeks ago, takes a bit of moving around the Y bracket to make the room but it is possible). You can also remove the front exhaust pipe and remove it through that gap.

The bolts for the starter are easy to get to, if you look on the gearbox roughly under the coil to the right a bit you'll see the two 14mm (if i remember right) bolts that hold the starter.

John

SWEET i fixed it. :p

Got a second hand starter (pulled it apart to make sure it was good) and put it in took quite a long time for me to install but if i had to do it again would be piece of piss.

The old one was faarked took it apart brushes all worn out totally full of black crud on everthing. Was really impressed with the second hand one looked in good condition.

I took mine out the passenger side after i rooted my oil filter trying to take it out the drivers side taking it out the passengers side is way easier in my opinion. Wire brushed back all contacts (they werent that bad but just to make sure).

Total cost about 40GBP including oil filter i stuffed. Not bad.