Wont start help! NOW SORTED! WOW!

S

spnSPENYB

Used car on saturday everything fine.Didnt use it on sunday.Got in it this morning and engine just turns over and no sign of firing.Checked round for anything obvious and theres plenty fuel in tank.Came in from work and decided to change fuel pump for one that i know worked last time i used it but still zilch? any ideas please! :? :? :? :D

ki_saj_ng

does it actually turn?

are u sure the battery is ok? u dont hear clicking do u? cos if u do then battery is dead.

S

spnSPENYB

WONT START

Yes turns over fine but no sign of firing? :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check you're getting fuel at the engine and that you're getting a good strong spark. I expect you won't be getting one of them, so let us know which one.

Can you hear the pump priming the system when you turn the igniton on?

If you're getting neither, check the ecu relay hasn't died.
If you have no spark, check the plugs/leads/dizzy/cap/rotor arm/ cas/ power amp/coil ect
If you have no fuel check your pump/filter/injectors/dropping resistor/pressure regulator etc

S

spnSPENYB

wont start

Cheers for that advice! I took pipes off fuel filter and filter was full and pipes had fuel in them.There is a slight solenoid type click when ignition is turned on.The car quite recently had a new combined alarm/immob fitted at nissan could that possibly play up? Having said that tested for power at blocks connecting to top of tank and its reaching there okay.Swear car is possesed! everything great until i threaten to sell.Find someone who wants to buy then it sulks!!!! :evil:

ki_saj_ng

it cant be the alarm playing up as if it was the immobiliser kicking in then it wouldnt allow it to turn.

i think it sounds like sparks, or something to do with the ignition lot.

ul have to run over everything

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It depends how the immobiliser is wired in. If it's 2 channels :- starter and ignition, then it probably won't be that. But if it's not wired into the starter motor, it could be that.

S

spnSPENYB

SORTED

My mate and ex owner of my car came round with his box of gizmos.He installs sat nav etc Traced the none starting fault to a duff earth to the fuel pump :) He added an earth wire and earthed it properly to body.Took the car out and hells bells never in the three years of owning the car has it run as sweetly as that! unreal,exhaust note sounds much better and it was good before! very very happy! :D :D :D :D :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Something worth checking for all those with running problems..... your fuel pump earth. :wink:
If it is duff, cleaning it up will give the pump more voltage and the engine more fuel (regulator allowing :wink: )

Dooie Pop Pop

Fast Guy said:
Something worth checking for all those with running problems..... your fuel pump earth. :wink:
If it is duff, cleaning it up will give the pump more voltage and the engine more fuel (regulator allowing :wink: )
noted :wink: cheers dude :lol:

M

momogtir

just for those of us not mechanically minded AT ALL... im guessing its quite the mission to get at the fuel pump??

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
momogtir said:
just for those of us not mechanically minded AT ALL... im guessing its quite the mission to get at the fuel pump??
If you're not mechanically minded, it might be best left alone as fuel + sparks = boom :shock:

Try reading the fuel pump how to in the how to forum, it should give you an idea of where it is and what's involved.