Wont run more than 1.6bar

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Now then, I'm having problems with my boost in that it won't go higher than 1.6 bar. :cry:

I'm running a GT2871R & I'm currently using a GReddy Profec B Boost controller (not Spec 2). At the highest setting on "High boost" I get a peak of 1.7 bar before returning to 1.6 bar. Experimenting with the soft/sharp knob position has negligible effects to the boost level (as you'd expect really). The actuator is a standard 0.5/0.6 bar unit.

I'm wondering if my problem could be either :

1) The boost controller is designed to run 1.6 bar max ? (I did think they would upto 2.0 bar ?)
2) The wastegate is being forced open ?

If it's 1, could i bleed off extra air after the boost solenoid to run more boost ?
If it's 2, i guess it's a new wastegate! (and if so any suggestions where to get a decent 1.0 bar actuator from without it costing the earth!)

Anyone experienced this before or got any ideas / suggestions ?

Cheers and thanks in advance,

donpulsar :)

Last edited:

ashills

whats the actuator pressure when the boost controller isnt on if its about .7-8 then its actuator is being forced open very common
u maybe able to shorten the rod on ur actautor save buying a new one

donpulsar

Am almost sure that without the boost controller powered up its running a nice n'solid 0.6 but will take it out for a spin tomorrow and check. Cheers for that :)

And if i end up shortening the rod or installing a new one its a ballache of a job! LOL!

Anyone else have any other thoughts ?

Cheers,

couldn't you fit a second manual bleed valve on the same line as the solenoid? that way you'll have the solenoid bleeding off the 1bar, +the spring at 0.5 (or 0.6) then your manual valve slightly open to give you the rest?
That would work surely?
Out of interest though; i hope you have uprated internals etc if you want more than 1.6bar lol

Last edited:

donpulsar

Am thinking of bleeding off more air after the solenoid, but will be testing it all over the weekend. I'm running standard internals with 1.6 bar & 380bhp, the key to it all is in the mapping! :)

Have just fitted water injection so hopefully I'll be running more boost and more advance to hit that magic 400 bhp! :twisted:

Cheers everybody for your input - much appreciated! :thumbsup: