Wont rev past 2k rpm

Sunny-D

Car idles fine and fault codes are clear, but only revs to 1750-1850rpm and feels like a rev limiter cuts in? any ideas?

Sunny-D

I checked it a while back and set it to 0.5v, re-checked it 20 mins later and got a fixed voltage of 2.74v no matter what position the throttle was at? the car still seems to drive ok, albeit with a slight miss on tickover.

I checked the fault codes as soon as it started playing up and it came back 11, but its been showing this on and off for a while. But after clearing the codes and nurseing the car home it comes back 55?

M4RV3

what about the air flow meter on my 200sx (very similar engine) i had a knacked maf and it would rev past 3k just sounded like it was hitting a rev limiter

Trip

I checked it a while back and set it to 0.5v, re-checked it 20 mins later and got a fixed voltage of 2.74v no matter what position the throttle was at? the car still seems to drive ok, albeit with a slight miss on tickover.
fixed voltage of 2.74 ? TPS should be below 0.5V at idle and go over 4.2V at WOT.

stumo

you can check the resistance of the TPS, i posted up the resistances on here a while ago, sorry but can't remember them

danr

red led light on in ecu (view though side of ecu case)? crank angle sensor or ecu is borked so puts car in safe mode, which is fans on & 2k rev limit and a locked volt for maf. all i can think of..

projectgtir

Could be the cat temp sensor playing up .
This causes some sort of limp home type thing. But basicly the car is undrivable. 1800-2000 rev limit and when you hit it the car goes back to idle speed.
It happend to me a few months back .
You usually get a light on the dash thats permanantly on . It looks like a sausage with heat lines above it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Now that's interesting; the hotdog sensor isn't actually connected to the ECU anywhere (I'm pretty sure Fusion Ed corroborated that), but a couple of people have reported that as a fault. - I suspect it's some kind of cross wiring because all that warning light is supposed to tell you is that you're likely to set fire to long grass etc if you park over it.

My hotdog warning comes on periodically (usually when I've been out in the snow or heavy rain), but it has never caused any issue with the running... usually I've been doing some "spirited" driving to have got it wet and caused it to come on.

Ed if I've misquoted you, sorry. I'm sure this one had been covered a few times now and the consensus was that there should be no reason for the car to go into limp mode, but it still happens to some people.

projectgtir

Yes its interesting in the sense that it shouldnt happen, maybe all pulsars are not wired how they should be . It would maybe explain all the misfire and electrical gremlins these cars seem to have . Mine especially .
But unplugging it under the seat solved it for me , but why who knows .

I think ed said he'd have to literally rip one to bits to find out where the wires goes back to.

Sunny-D

Could be the cat temp sensor playing up .
This causes some sort of limp home type thing. But basicly the car is undrivable. 1800-2000 rev limit and when you hit it the car goes back to idle speed.
It happend to me a few months back .
You usually get a light on the dash thats permanantly on . It looks like a sausage with heat lines above it.
My cars a 92 J reg uk sunny with no cat and i dont have any lights on or fault codes, but the symptom's are exactly the same. Its definitely some sort of electrical thing though.

Sunny-D

Finally got round to checking the car over today. Its had the battery disconnected since it played up, so its had a chance to reset itself.

It started first time with no problems. The maf is getting 1.28-2.89v from one orange wire, the other is 14.12v and resistance is .009v, the tps is getting 5.12v and the signal wire is 3.81-3.92v, but the car runs ok?

Does this mean the tps is shagged?

Sunny-D

red led light on in ecu (view though side of ecu case)? crank angle sensor or ecu is borked so puts car in safe mode, which is fans on & 2k rev limit and a locked volt for maf. all i can think of..
Do you have to unbolt the ecu to see the red light?

Sunny-D

Found it at the back of the ecu, came on with ign, went off on idle so looks like thats ok. I did notice from cold it would rev'd to 2.5k but when its up to temp that dropped to 1900-2000rpm.