Wont rev above 2k

A

Anonymous

Hello,

After I'd left the carpark at Elvington yesterday and got onto the road my car decided it wasn't going to rev above 2000rpm. It was cutting out at 2k as if it was hitting a limiter or something. After a while it cleared its self. 10 miles on and the same happened. It cleared again and was fine all the way home (+/- 200miles!). This morning the same thing is happening again. Any ideas?

Dunc

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if pac man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and
listening to repetitive music."

turblio

MAF sensor plug connection sounds quite likely, or blocked fuel filter
Frank

quote:Mines not white its Ivory

A

Anonymous

Thanks Frank,
I thought it could be a boost leak but wasn't sure if that would put its self right. I'll check the Maf sensor. Not sure about the fuel filter as when it as cutting out it was still idling perectly but I'll have a look.

Thanks!

Dunc

O

Olly

Fuel pump ok? If you gotta big boost leak then it will bearly run and chuck out loadsa black smoke like a diesel, mine did when I blew a hose off my forge.[B)]

A

Anonymous

Sounda like mine, if its idling for a while it won`t go above 2k, once on the move clears and is ok. Checked the fault code and getting the knock sensor (3 long 4 short), so sounds like may have to replace.

Si

A

Anonymous

Which pins do I have to short to check the codes? Anyone got a pic?

Dunc

Curtis

quote:Originally posted by Duncan
Which pins do I have to short to check the codes? Anyone got a pic?

Dunc

The top right hand two that are side by side.

Curtis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!

A

Anonymous

Hi

A few things spring to mind. The knock sensor is a maybe, had one go on mine but all it did was reduce the boost and make the car run lumpy. It still rev'd ok.
Also, dirt in the MAF sensor or bad earthing of the MAF sensor may put the ECU into "get you home" mode, this reduces you to around 2500rpm. A collapsed airfilter may do the same.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys,

Air filter is OK.
MAF sensor seems OK but I'll look again.
Knock sensor, I'll check codes tonight.

Cheers guys,
Dunc

Keira

when i changed dump valves a while ago i didn't do the clip up that held it on properly and the dump valve sort of detatched itself, not completely but enough to f*ck up the readings. It wouldn't rev and smoked like a f*cker.

Managed to sort it out at the side of the road but the missus spotted it and throw a wobbly, i'd fitted the new valve whilst she was at work and when she noticed the noise i'd told her that i'd found a screw on the old one that adjusted the sound [:)]Told her when i got the 'r' i wouldn't be doing anything to it [:p]Famous last words...

Check the dump valve cos it could be that, dont know why it would sort itself for abit though.

It's a big black fly swat

turblio

Kieron, I have a hawkeye wife like that! you have to mod like you were in the sas!
Frank

quote:Mines not white its Ivory

B

bean

Duncan - Did you ever fix this problem cos it sounds something like what I'm getting, but intermittently. :cry:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Looks like you might be going into fail safe mode. It won't rev above 2400rpm, could be AFM, ECU, det sensor, temp sensor, or throttle sensor malfunction.

B

bean

Fast Guy said:
Looks like you might be going into fail safe mode. It won't rev above 2400rpm, could be AFM, ECU, det sensor, temp sensor, or throttle sensor malfunction.
The thing is it doesn't do it all the time, other times the car is hesitating really badly but is revving higher than 2.4k and boost hits maximum, although it takes some effort.

Jobi Joba

Probably MAF.
A friend of I have fitted an Apexi SAFC2 on a 200SX S13 on sunday.He made a mistake on the wiring:he used the karmann sensor type wires to connect the Apexi to the MAF wire.The engine seemed running fine but was hitting a kind of limiter at 2000rpm.I checked the wiring,found the prob,correct it and everything was fine.

Check your MAF wires mates...

B

bean

Jobi Joba said:
Probably MAF.
A friend of I have fitted an Apexi SAFC2 on a 200SX S13 on sunday.He made a mistake on the wiring:he used the karmann sensor type wires to connect the Apexi to the MAF wire.The engine seemed running fine but was hitting a kind of limiter at 2000rpm.I checked the wiring,found the prob,correct it and everything was fine.

Check your MAF wires mates...
The thing is my car does this intermittently, rest of the time runs shitty.

I'll check the MAF wires, thanks. :)

B

bean

Right, I've uplugged the CAT sensor and this didn't cure my problem.

I've done the ECU diagnostics (pulled over to the side of the road whilst the car was playing up) and it came out 34, knock sensor.

When I got home I did the test again, 55 all clear. So, I guess I've got a faulty sensor or the wiring to it. :cry:

Can I unplug the knock sensor for a while to see if the problem goes away? I'll replace it or the faulty wiring soon after.

B

bean

Can I just unplug the knock sensor to see if my car runs better? :?