won`t start

1000ny

hi dudes, i`ve just put a new alternater on cos the old one was knacked and it seemed to be going ok til i came to start the car and it won`t.

the car turns over but it does`nt catch, if you know what i mean.

please help cos this is the last in a long line of problems, i fix this and its complete.. hopefully.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is the alternator wire up correctly? Is it a new one or second hand, cos it could be faulty too. :?
Is the battery earth back on :oops:
I'd say it will still be alternator realated unless the car's beens stood a while and something else has developed. Was it running ok before you took the alterantor off (bar the charging problem)?
Failing that it's back to basics...........Any Fuel/Spark?

1000ny

its a new alternator, i put a second hand one on first but i blew it up by fitting it wrong, this time i`ve been very carefull, and the catr runs fine when its running. it wont even start with jump leads on it from my mates car.. but it will bump start.

confused!!!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have you checked the battery and the altenator output, I wonder if when it's cranking there isn't enough juice to power the spark and you're getting a weak spark? Unless there's a fuse/fusible link somewhere that's gone and isolating you under cranking. :?:

sypher

how about u try this. charge the battery fully or get a GOOD jump start. before u try to start the car disconnect the +12v cable (big wire) and the battery warning light wire (small wire), and try to start the car, this hould rule out your altenator. providing this is the only wiring u have touched!!

Shaun

:D Just a thought,have you checked the fuses since you blew the alternater :?: Might be worth a look :!: :D

1000ny

o.k. i`m going to check all of the above but i`ll give ya some more info

for the past 3 mornings i have got to the car to find the battery so dead that even the alarm wont work to open the doors,

i have fully charged the battery every day, yesterday i put a new battery on it cos the old one was still under warranty and i said it was f**ked. this morn it was dead.

the car runs perfect when its running and itll start after being on charge for a bit, then i`ll turn it off, then on again and it will struggle but start, then i`ll do the same again and it wont start.

the alternater must be charging ok cos the car now runs ok and the windscreen wipers now run at the correct speed, with my knackered alternater on they went dead slow.

i`m taking it for an alternater test today to check it though, i`ll post back with the results.. cheers guys.

J

jasegould

Sounds like you have a drain somewhere, quite a big one by the sounds of it. You may have damaged something by wiring up the first one wrong. Use a multimeter and test for a discharge.