Wind deflectors, old tape removal

John

In preperation for Knockhill at the end of next month im trying to sort out as many of the niggly jobs on my car.

A couple of years ago one of wind deflectors was damaged and subsequently blew off, the other suffered the same fate in heavy winds a few months later.

Anyway, I reattached the new(second hand) wind deflectors via the clips with some b&q nuts and bolts, however at the time I left the old double sided tape which once attached the original wind deflectors to the car on the car in fear of stripping the paint underneath on the door surround.

How would I go about removing this old tape without causing damage to the door and where can I get replacement double sided tape to stop them vibrating at motorway speed but will last in the Scottish winters?

Any help or ideas appreciated!

red reading

WD-40 to remove the old stuff and a old credit card with patience, and you can buy foam type adhesive tape from motorfactors (it's used for holding body trim on) use alcohol pad's before fitting the tape to clean any oil type residue away from where you want it to stick too.

John

Just to clarify guys, its not the sticky residue that remains, its the foam and residue!

Will any of these techniques work to remove this, WD40 doesnt exactly sound like something that would remove it!

grim_d

Bit of heat (hairdryer would do) and pick away at it with your fingernails or a plastic scraper, if you are lucky you will be able to "roll" most of it off with your fingers.

Once you have most of the top foam layer away then soak in some tar/glue remover to any remaining residue, the autoglym stuff is excellent although a bit of petrol would work just as well, remove with fingernails or plastic scraper, repeat this process until you can wipe away any remaining traces of residue with a cloth.

Then polish up your now swirly paintwork around the offending area.