will this work...?

I bought some 285mm discs off another member to fit my hi-spec 4 pot upgrade but the discs are a slightly different off-set and rub on the inside edge of the caliper. I was thinking of using a wheel spacer between the hub and the inside face of the disc to space the disc out slightly so it sits centrally in the caliper. It only needs a few mm, if I did this accurately would it work ok or could it create any problems?

cheers :-D

Well when people fit early year Evo brakes they use Clio Cup disc's spaced by 3mm, so i cant see it causing any problems :)

search it mate, have a look through the threads....search "evo brakes" or something like "3mm spacers"

that should bring up the posts

STU4X4

Personally i wasnt a fan of spacing the disc out, i know some of you will say "but its only 3mm" but you then make the front track wider than the rear unless you compensate for it in changing your wheel offset. You also put more strain on the wheel studs as you`ve effectively shortened them and using less thread on the wheel nut to tighten it up.

Ive done the evo 3 caliper mod and had the pad carrier machined down to suit, even after machining the carrier is still thicker than the standard Nissan one i removed.

STU4X4

And before some of you say that the front track already is wider than the rear i`ve just read what i typed and i mean that making the front track "alot wider" than the rear can make you car very tail happy and not in a good way?

Sunny GTi

Stu covers some good points to consider.

With practicality in mind Cambridge_Pulsar, if you use any thickness of spacer and you can still tighten the wheel nuts by at least 8 full rotations, you should be safe against the wheels falling off your car.

With the spacers themselves, some of the universal ones don't always sit correctly, so getting ones that are specific for the stud pattern keeps them properly alligned with the studs and centred on the hub.

If you use spacers that push the wheel out too much from the hub, like Stu said, you get the problem of not enough wheel stud showing to properly tighten the wheel nuts. In this case, you need longer wheel studs. But as well as this, the wheels will no longer be properly centred on the hub once you space them out too far, they will locate around the wheel studs only. This could cause vibrations and stress on the wheel studs, in which case the soloution is to get hubcentric wheel spacers which keeps everything located properly.

Spacing by 3mm should avoid this though. Of course, the ideal soloution would be to get properly machined mounting bells, assuming your disc setup is 2 piece.

It's not an ideal solution I know but i'm trying to avoid buying new discs although I would be happier knowing they should fit properly.
Interesting idea of using washers behind the disc but is this any better than using wheel spacers?
cheers for the replies.

As an alternative would it be viable to mount the caliper brackets behind the hub instead of on the front of the hub? Then I could space the caliper back a bit to the correct place...?