Will a FMIC make my GTI-R laggy?

reckals

My Pulsar is basically standard bar a full mongoose exhaust.

will i benefit from fitting a FMIC or will it just make my car a bit laggy as its almost standard?

RO_SUNNY

It doesn't matter if you have 100 or 500 bhp the bigger the intercooler or the longer the pipe run is .....It will be laggy!!

Fusion Ed

If you get someone to remap it as well, you can run more ignition advance and pick up power where the TMIC cant, and end up with an all round better car.

Stock ECU is really 'safe' as I guess Nissan assumed that it would be possible for the car to sit running for extended periods then the TMIC would heat up and then you'd end up with a whole load of hot air entering the engine when you put your foot down. This is not a problem with FMIC so you can dial in ignition get better mpg and more power.

johnsy

If you get someone to remap it as well, you can run more ignition advance and pick up power where the TMIC cant, and end up with an all round better car.

Stock ECU is really 'safe' as I guess Nissan assumed that it would be possible for the car to sit running for extended periods then the TMIC would heat up and then you'd end up with a whole load of hot air entering the engine when you put your foot down. This is not a problem with FMIC so you can dial in ignition get better mpg and more power.

you really dont like tmic'ers 8)

Fusion Ed

No, haha I have, um had one on my March Superturbo and they are so inferior compared to almost any kind of FMIC. :)

reckals

Ok so, i do plan to remap the car for 95 octane in the future so will consider it.

Fusion i see you do tailored oem ecu remapping. could you remap the oem ecu for 95 octane?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
As Ed says you can map it out to be less laggy, but to be honest with what you've got it’s not worth moving to a front mount.
I've run a top mount intercooler on my track car for many years and it performs without fault, intake temps are excellent and there is very little lag.

I'd invest your money into the brakes or suspension as you'll get a better and safer drive from it.

dotalot

I just fitted an fmic, hopefully get the car back tomorrow as a mate is sorting out the bumper for me so ill see how drastic the difference is.
To be honest ill just be happy never to have to strip that bloody top-mount again, its one of those things if I had to strip it one more time just for something silly i think i'd scream.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Ok so, i do plan to remap the car for 95 octane in the future so will consider it.

Fusion i see you do tailored oem ecu remapping. could you remap the oem ecu for 95 octane?
I'm not so sure that this is a good idea. I thought the high RON level was required because of the compressed air from the turbo. If you wanted a fuel efficient car that's cheap to run, you've bought the wrong one.

Fusion Ed

In Ireland 98 is hard to find (apparently) I wouldn't be happy to do anything to a car I cant see the results for my self to be honest. You could do it the old fashioned way and stick it on a dyno over there and turn the distributor back a couple of degrees and listen for knock..

And one thing I will say in favour of the TMIC on the GTIR is it is huge by most TMIC standards, so for a TMIC it could be a lot worse.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Ah - that clears it up Ed! It never occured to me that the problem could be availability... buy up some bulk aditives from Opie Oils whilst they're still on special?

reckals

I'm not so sure that this is a good idea. I thought the high RON level was required because of the compressed air from the turbo. If you wanted a fuel efficient car that's cheap to run, you've bought the wrong one.
lol, i know that the Gti-r is not meant to be fuel efficent! After owning 12 Nissan skylines (8 GTR's) i got a bit of an idea of what i was in for! :doh:

As Fusion said, here in ireland 98 ron is not readily available. i would have to travel 50 miles to get it!

Stocking up on octane would be an option but how effictive are they really?