Widest tyres for Superleggera 16 x 7"?

S

Stoned

I currently have some 16" SuperLeggeras with 195/45/16's on them. However these are too thin and theres not enough traction

I was about to step up to 205/45/16 when I notice that 225/45/16 are the same price...

But is 225 too wide for a 7" alloy?

Update: I've answered my own question by looking on the Toyo webby, they fit 7-8.5" wheels

Next question will they rub?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
It will work but:

wibbly wobbly wibbly wobbly jelly on a plate to coin a child hood phrase :lol: :lol:

You would get more straight line grip but your lateral grip maybe worse than if you used a right size 205. Over wide tyres for a rim induce positive camber under lateral loads giving you less grip rather than more.

I was after a similar thing and went for 215/40/16 on a 7.5" rim. I think fast guy found some 215/35/16 but he is a drag racing fanatic.

These might fit on a 7" rim but TBH, I'd stick with the 205's as its well proven.

Jim

S

Stoned

OK cool

It's a shame no one seems to do 215/45/16

I dont really understand why thats the case :?

ChrisS

I have 215/45/16 's, Michelin pilots. They're on 7 1/2 inch wide rims but i do get some rubbing

S

Stoned

How about 215/40/16

Is 40 profile a bit low for 16's?

Car scrapes over road bumps as it is :lol:

O

Odin

I have 215x40x16's fitted to my 7" rims matey, This size keeps the right rolling radius as do 205x45x16's that I used to have.

I think I'll be changing back to 205's next time though :wink: ,As I don't really feel that the bigger tyre give's me anymore grip over the 205's.

rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Dragmera said:
You can see that the 255/50 R16 tyre can be fitted on a 7" wheel...
Just because it can, doesn't mean it should :roll: .
I will say that on a straight line drag car, oversized tyres can be advantageous but that is the only application I can think of.
For a road car, lower profile tyres need wider rims anyway to stop the tyre coming off where as a 255/50 will have a far large sidewall so can get away with a smaller rim.

Rob, with a rough calculation, the 205/45/16 will have the same contact patch as the 215/40/16. Theoretically the 215 should give marginally better lateral grip but lose out in a straight line. TBH, I think tyre choice will make a bigger difference than size between what we're talking here.
I went for the 215 as it was a smaller rolling radius and closer to OE as much as being more laterally biased.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
vpulsar said:
I have 215x40x16's fitted to my 7" rims matey, This size keeps the right rolling radius as do 205x45x16's that I used to have.
rob
Roughly roughly, the 205/45/16 is over 1cm bigger in diameter than the 215/40/16. That's why they end up with a similar contact patch. The 215's are just a couple mm bigger than OE

Yes 40 profile will be harsher than the 45. As I always say, what works for me won't necessarily work for you. Juat make the choice for the right reasons, :wink:

Jim

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
campbellju said:
I think fast guy found some 215/35/16 but he is a drag racing fanatic.

Jim
Yep, I have Dunlop sp9000s 215/35/16s on (as supplied by mytyres) They certainly helped with my 1/4 time due to the smaller diammeter. I don't find them any harsher than the 225/40/16s they replaced, if anything they might be slightly better.
My rims are 7x16s (et low 30s, need to check)and I haven't had any rubbing with either tyres. 225/45s might though as they're wider and taller.

chadboy

ive got 215/35z18, they dont rub and im slamed runnin on coil ova's. if the tyre is 2 big 4 the rim it wount wear even, with a 7~J wheel id be tight. but aslong as the off set is right on the wheel ud most probley be ok. good luck

Dragmera

campbellju said:
Dragmera said:
You can see that the 255/50 R16 tyre can be fitted on a 7" wheel...
Just because it can, doesn't mean it should :roll: .
I will say that on a straight line drag car, oversized tyres can be advantageous but that is the only application I can think of.
For a road car, lower profile tyres need wider rims anyway to stop the tyre coming off where as a 255/50 will have a far large sidewall so can get away with a smaller rim.

Rob, with a rough calculation, the 205/45/16 will have the same contact patch as the 215/40/16. Theoretically the 215 should give marginally better lateral grip but lose out in a straight line. TBH, I think tyre choice will make a bigger difference than size between what we're talking here.
I went for the 215 as it was a smaller rolling radius and closer to OE as much as being more laterally biased.
Sorry bud, that is why I showed him a drag tyre!