wideband position?

johnsy

I bought a used wideband( no instructions), just wondering if it really matters where the position of the sensor is,I already have a boss on my elbow(top one in picture) which i could use, but was wondering if it is to close and more so why if i cant?

thanks Dan

red reading

I run mine about 6" away from the turbine outlet, if they are too close they fail after a while from the heat........even 6" is too close apparentley.

skiddusmarkus

Mine is in the downpipe a few inches away from where it starts to bend under the car.You can buy/make heatsinks for them if going closer to the turbo but they recommend 18" away.

Animaldaz

It'll be for the heat. On a rolling road the sensor is placed in the tail pipe.

Mine is at the back of the block facing down into the dp.

CruiseGTi-R

And it should be horizontal or past horizontal (above or at 3 or 9 o'clock), as the sensor fails a bit earlier due to condensation on the sensor.

It can be anywhere along the exhaust after 18" or so from the turbo, but preferably before a working cat if you're running one as the numbers can apparently be inaccurate (this is apparently also bollocks but i've seen it advised over and over).

Stuck in the tailpipe is alright for WOT runs as gas flow is good, but at part or cruise tuning it can be affected by surrounding air unless you've a venturi-type clamp.

P

pulsarboby

it wont fit in that bung dan......i know asi made one the same lol, youll find that the wires will hit the underside of exhaust manifold.
your best off drilling a hole in dp around 3ft away from tubby and 'as above' in the side not the bottom

johnsy

it does fit but like you say it fouls the the manifold, iv ordered a ss bung m18x1.5 off ebay,ill get one of the lads at work to weld it in for me

cheer Dan

geoff pine

Could I just put it in the bung for the hot-dog sensor in that casef ? That's one less job if I can... once I've claimed one that is. :doh:;-)
sounds like a no to me you could always pay to get the bung that goes with it welded in an appropriate place :doh: :lol: :lol:

Fusion Ed

Idealy a couple of feet from the turbo. I have had a few problems with one recently going into fault from being too close to a turbo.

johnsy

SORTED!

got the boss ordered and the dp in the boot of my car ready to go

thnks for the advice all!