why does my clutch keep pumping itself up???

gtir bean

it does this usually after about 5 min driving.it must be getting more fluid between the slave and master cylinder somehow :? .this makes the whole feel of the clich and the biting point change which is no fun in trafic with a exeddy paddle.if i open the bleed nipple and release the pressure its fine again.it doesent do it all the time either but its getting much more frequent now.i think it must be something to do with the seals but how easy is it to get at the ones in the master cylinder?and is there 2 kinds like the slave?its starting to do my head in.

J

justin666

Sounds like you have a leak in the system somewhere and if there is no signs of fluid around the slave cylinder then your master could be on the way out :(

I had the same problem of the biting point moving down the pedal the more i used it and then noticed a small amount of fluid on the master cylinder rod that attaches to the clutch pedal :(

if you fancy a go at it yourself... http://bb.gtiroc.com/viewtopic.php?t=40183 as its not a cheap job to pay someone else to do it.

J.

gtir bean

the biting point moves higher up thou :? thats what i dont get.its not leaking onto the carpet or anything like that.

J

justin666

Mine didnt leak onto the carpet either, It was just a small amount leaking through the master cyliner rod. The only reason i checked it was because like you my biting point kept moving about :? . Also check round the slave cylinder for leaks as well as the clutch pipe running into the slave as these have a tendancy to spring leaks aswell.

J.

gtir bean

but if it was leaking the bite point should fall.when it does it bad there is pressure in the system all the time,even if your off the clutch and its right up against the stop.

J

justin666

Go have a look at the rod and see if there is any trace of fluid on it, If not then you can probably rule out the master. Then check the slave and pipe work leading into it to rule that out. if the system is pressurising then something somewhere isnt right, just need to find out where. If its none of those i suppose it could be the clutch fork or release baring playing up :? :?