Who does Best T28 Hybrid?

NISR227

After thinking about it, I've decided not to go for the much sort after 3071R becuase I have no interest in making the R going any quicker than 320/330bhp and my current mapped 1.2bar, and the bigger turbo would just be overkill.

I've driven some other R's with Hybrids (won't mention which company) and some have more lag than my standard T28 had (maybe the cars were setup/mapped poor) which i wasn't impressed with, I don't want it all at the top end.

Anyway, turbo's finally packed up after 7 years ownership, I want a decent T28 Hybrid with low lag ish than can handle 1.2bar for years to come, who produces the best Hybrids? Turbo technics, Turbo Dynamics or anyone else????

cheers

Steve

youngsyp

You're probably best off going for a roller bearing turbo, if you want to reduce lag. Something like the GT28 or GT28R or GT28RS.

As for a 'hybrid' turbo, I guess it all depends on what that specific company deems what qualifies to make it a 'hybrid'. Afaik, most just put a 360 degree thrust washer in and call it a hybrid. All this will do is give you slightly better longevity, it won't reduce lag over the bog standard 270 degree thrust washered OE T28 unit.

You could always go for a big standard T28 and port your manifold, whilst the turbo is off. This along with the better S15 manifold gasket will reduce lag. Lagging the exhaust manifold will also help !

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
NISR227 said:
After thinking about it, I've decided not to go for the much sort after 3071R becuase I have no interest in making the R going any quicker than 320/330bhp and my current mapped 1.2bar, and the bigger turbo would just be overkill.
Why not just get the standard turbo tweaked. 360deg bearing, cut back turbine blades etc. It'll do what you want, just not last too long. Some of these GT28xxs are 400bhp capeable.

GT28RS looks closest to what you want, but it's still 350bhp capable.

ashills

2871 will never do those figures weve dyno'd them from 330 to 370 not alot happening after that
best bet is a gt28rs which is a 2860 as far as i can remember or for a mega fast spool and limited bhp ie 310-330 get a s15 turbo cheap off ebay from japan etc

NISR227

ashills - whats the lag like on the 3071R compared to standard T28? Whats it like running on say 1bar and standard injectors (can you run it at 0.5bar on standard acuator for example too?) and can you do me a good deal supply and fit? :)

MarkTurbo

NISR227 said:
ashills - whats the lag like on the 3071R compared to standard T28?
Its definatly got no more lag than a standard turbo ;-) But having a 3071 just to run 320/330 bhp is a waste in my opinion!

NISR227

Yeah I know its a waste, should stop thinking and asking about the 3071R, but it would be there if, and if, and ever wanted more (ie my misses actually let me spend the money to suport it, fooking women! :) )

Anyway, thanks for all the info,

Whos better turbo technics or turbo dynamics for just a simple cheap and boring Hybrid with 360 Comp?

Fusion Ed

Why is it a waste? Its an efficient turbo. Means it runs cool, intercooler doesn't need to do allot and you get big bhp from low boost. Since its not stressed it will also have a very long life. For simplicity of fitting however, it may not be the ideal choice, but I see no reason to go that much smaller, as they are not much more expensive than other kit, however garrett have just put up their worldwide prices on all their turbo cores.

A brand new stock turbo with uprated bearings is going to set you back a reasonable amount, I would say around £650 ish. I cant help but think its better spent on a GT core turbo, whatever one you go for.

youngsyp

Micra Ed said:
A brand new stock turbo with uprated bearings is going to set you back a reasonable amount, I would say around £650 ish. I cant help but think its better spent on a GT core turbo, whatever one you go for.
Totally agree with this and it's what I'll be doing when my turbo goes futt !!