Which uprated front brakes would you choose???

Hello,

I'm going to upgrade my front brakes from my hi spec billet 4 300mm to something a little bigger for a little more stopping power.

I've seen the hi spec monster 6 pot 335mm for about £1300 and am pretty sure about buying this kit, but then looking around D2 do a 330mm 8 pot kit for £900. The kit seems cheap but I'm unsure about replacement pads etc etc.

Anyway, in short, if it was you buying a massive front brake kit, what would you go for????

And while were at it, what colour and were would you buy a poly bush kit from, mainly for track use??

Thanks Chris.

red reading

Just fit new discs and carbotech xp10 all round, the differance is stunning chris. The hotter they get the better they get. You will find that they over power even the best tyres....

I have tried so many combinations of pads but they are fantastic, you have to re learn when to brake, and they do not fade...make sure you put fresh top quality brake fluid in too.

gtirx2

There a bit dusty and proberly wear the discs a bit quicker but xp10's live up to all the hype,they really are that good!

jamesgtir

agree with danny on this. as long as your calipers are working correctly go for new discs & a set of carbotechs im using hi spec 4 pots with carbotech xp8 front & rear & the brakes are very good indeed. may be worth giving ian at carbotech a call. seems very helpful

Just fit new discs and carbotech xp10 all round, the differance is stunning chris. The hotter they get the better they get. You will find that they over power even the best tyres....

I have tried so many combinations of pads but they are fantastic, you have to re learn when to brake, and they do not fade...make sure you put fresh top quality brake fluid in too.

MarkTurbo

What pads are you using at the moment?

Ian at Carbotech is a top bloke and very helpful, i paid around £180 for the XP8's on the front of my car. Not counting the AP brakes they're sitting in it was some of the best money i've ever spent on my car ;-)

Like Danny said, they're that good you have to learn to brake all over again once you've got them fitted :lol:

Jon Olds

are these worth double the price of ds3000's? (this is not a facetious question, i genuinely want to know) How do they last?
Jon

red reading

Yes, they have a better feel,last longer,don't fade, kinder to discs, and he has many different pad grades, I run 304mm x25 discs with brembo radial calipers and can do repeated stops without fade from 150mph, and I have the big disc rear conversion and standard rear calipers and you can actually feel the back of the car being pulled down under braking too now......I thought it was bollocks till I tried them ......I even have a set of 332mm x 32mm Alcon discs to fit but don't need them now.

Jon Olds

i rate ds3000's very highly for tarmac rallying. cost is a major issue to me as I get through a lot of pads. Ds3000's are great for feel and power IMHO, discs wear, so what? 100mph is all we get to. never fades, providing you have fancy brake fluid. (SRF) Rear braking? know what you mean , I run 4 pot rears. maybe I will save up for some...
Jon

red reading

i rate ds3000's very highly for tarmac rallying. cost is a major issue to me as I get through a lot of pads. Ds3000's are great for feel and power IMHO, discs wear, so what? 100mph is all we get to. never fades, providing you have fancy brake fluid. (SRF) Rear braking? know what you mean , I run 4 pot rears. maybe I will save up for some...
Jon
Jon i have tried D's 2500 and 3000, I used to warp discs with them.....try the carbotech xp8 or 10 and see what you think, and I don't use SRF ,I use ate super blue. The point I am saying is they have many compounds that are very good, but I found xp10 the best for the issues I suffered which was poor pads that used to over heat,craze and break up and discs that warped and chronic overheating that led to non exist ant brakes........Martyn can vouch for that too.

red reading

What are like from cold?
You can lock the wheels up with very little peddle pressure even from cold, and I have had no noise issues either, I reckon you could fit these pads to a standard brake system and have pretty good stopping power on par with some of the cheap larger disc conversions.

MarkTurbo

I can't comment on ds3000's but the ds2500 i was using were absolute rubbish in comparison to XP8's. They are well known for leaving deposits on the discs when they get hot which cause serious brake judder. It got so bad i even thought my discs were warped. Cold bite of the XP8's is very good and they just keep getting better as they heat up, haven't managed to get them to fade either unlike the ferodo's.

I've been using ate super blue fluid for years too, the wet boiling point isn't too far off SRF and its pretty cheap at £20 a litre 8)

P

pulsarboby

Jon i have tried D's 2500 and 3000, I used to warp discs with them.....try the carbotech xp8 or 10 and see what you think, and I don't use SRF ,I use ate super blue. The point I am saying is they have many compounds that are very good, but I found xp10 the best for the issues I suffered which was poor pads that used to over heat,craze and break up and discs that warped and chronic overheating that led to non exist ant brakes........Martyn can vouch for that too.
spot on
i used to run 3000 pads and they are awfull, il be getting a set of xp10s when cars built up again for sure

Cheers all, looks like I'll be buying some carbotech brake pads then, I'll give Ian a bell today.
Sounds like you've had a lot of different setups Danny, I reckon your advice could save me spending loads of money on different pads!
I'll still buy a bigger brake setup, 1 because I like the look of them, and 2 because my calipers are a bit old now, rubbers splitting and a bleed nipple snapped last week trying to undo it, so had to get it machined out to make it right again. It did fine at Oulton park on Saturday, no leaks at all, but its one of those things that's always in the back of your head, and when your anchoring on at 125 mph, its not were i want to be! :der:
Cheers for the feedback though guys, carbotech it is!

Everyone missed the lower subject,...... polybushes???? what colour and were's the best place to buy from?? I understand there not cheap and can be a pain in the arse to fit!??

Thanks Chris. :lol:

warpspeed

Danny, was it yourself that got Carbotech to make standard rear pads with their material? If so I take it you had a fair bit of dealings with them?
Do you think they would be interested in a group buy?
I'm not able to organise it as I have to much on but next spring I'll be looking for a full set of pads, I have radial mount brembo 4 pots on front and not sure of rear set up yet but it'll likely be 2 or 4 pots.
How many people would be interested in a group buy of different pads from them? i.e. not just gtir brakes, if we could get enough interest in a bulk buy we could all make some good savings 8) I don't know about you guys but I find £180 for one set of pads a bitter pill to swallow, no matter how good they are...

warpspeed

Chris, if you hang on a wee bit for the bushes there are some sets on the way to the uk just now that look to be excellent quality at a better price than the other known brands...i have already had a set in my hands and was very impressed by the quality

MarkTurbo

Danny, was it yourself that got Carbotech to make standard rear pads with their material?
They will do any pad if you send them the backing plates. When I spoke to Ian a few months ago about rears he said he didn't know if he had the plates for the standard rear calipers but if not I could just send him a set of standard pads to use.