which pistons???????????

D

DICKY

hello all.had my r tuned last month,now its killed a piston.stripped the engine,found part of the piston between the top 2 rings had broke away on all four pistons.after throwing all my toys out of the pram best i get it fixed.on a bit of a budget so what forged pistons,price and where from.any ideas on head gasket as well.cheers for any help :( :( :(

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
JE Pistons from the USA £380 - Speak to Mr GTiR about that one, think thats what he's got...

HKS Head Gasket from Greenline or CheckerFlag...

Rishi

S

stuart rawlinson

Got JE in mine

Now some ppls dont lk the taxi sound when cold :)
But give it 5 mins to warm up and there sound
And they've been making them longer than ur Grannys had her Beard :shock:

Stu

D

DICKY

stu where did u get them from ?
looks like my r will live again!!!!!!!!

Sweeny

Got JE in mine too, The taxi sound goes quite well with the noisy ass twin plate clutch and the wine of the quaife. :wink: , but does go after warm-up.

D

DICKY

now your showing off!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :D
the only whines i get r from the misses!

S

stuart rawlinson

Got them from S.E motorsport but there out of bussiness now there the low 7.8 ones but you can still get them

And best thing i did was stick me Motec os giken Quiafe and 20k more in engine bits Y cox it stoped my other half from driving it :D

Stu

Mr GTiR

RishiGTiR said:
JE Pistons from the USA £380 - Speak to Mr GTiR about that one, think thats what he's got...

HKS Head Gasket from Greenline or CheckerFlag...

Rishi
I got them from Top End Performance in the US. They are the offical distributors for JE and order straight from the factory. I'll confirm their details when i get home but i think including shipping and import duties ( :evil: ) it was £420 all in....bargin.

Also, my 1.2 Tommei head gasket was £150 direct from the States.

Regards
Andy

D

DICKY

does any one us the total seal piston rings.found them when looking on top end performanse web site,if so have you noticed any difference?

cheers for you help :D :D

rich

Mr GTiR

Dick, i'm using the Gapless rings but can't tell you if they are any good or not :? It's going to be the end of the month till my car is running again.

Your best bet is to speak to Steve @ Top End on:

Top-End Performance
http://www.Top-EndPerformance.com

7452 Varna Ave
N.Hollywood CA 91605
Tel: 818 764-1901 Fax: 818 764-0155

let me know if you need a head gasket cheap (£150) :wink:

Regards
Andy

T

Toady

can the gtir block be bored out or is it wet lined? reason im asking is that dont the pistons come in different sizes, and you may need to fully strip down the engine and have it machined before fitting the forged pistons? or if the bores are in good condition can you get away with just putting the forged pistons straight in etc? cheers! :? id like to know cos i mite be having to do this some time in the near future! :wink:

GINGA

The block can be bored to accept 87mm pistons (86mm is standard) and if the bores are in good condition you can just have them glazed busted and new standard sized pistons fitted though it would be better in the long run to get the block bored and bigger pistons fitted as the rings will settle in quicker and you'll get less blow by etc :wink:

1000ny

whats the deal with the taxi noise when warming up, how bad do they sound and why do they do it?

also what bhp can they take?

cheers

O

Olly

dick said:
hello all.had my r tuned last month,now its killed a piston.stripped the engine,found part of the piston between the top 2 rings had broke away on all four pistons.after throwing all my toys out of the pram best i get it fixed.on a bit of a budget so what forged pistons,price and where from.any ideas on head gasket as well.cheers for any help :( :( :(
Harsh but don't forget to sort out the reason for killing them pistons or forged or not you might do it again :cry: who tuned your R? how did they tune it? just up the boost on a top mount? :cry:

Mr GTiR

I think the 'taxi' noise you are referring to is piston slap. I was under the impression that you get this if it's a bad fit after the block has been machined? So bascially it's down to a decent machine shop who are good.

Paul - is this correct?

D

DICKY

Olly said:
Harsh but don't forget to sort out the reason for killing them pistons or forged or not you might do it again :cry: who tuned your R? how did they tune it? just up the boost on a top mount? :cry:
it was tuned by jap tuning ,it was running 10% co at 3000rpm.its got apexi safc nd hyper turbo running 308bhp.when i got the car in had 20% extra fuel on idle and dropped down to in minus settings when turbo comes in.after it was tunned it run a lot better low down but top end was still shit.judging by what the compresions were on the other 3,running it rich kept it alive. :? :?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
dick said:
judging by what the compresions were on the other 3,running it rich kept it alive. :? :?
From what you've said i'd check the Injector Resistor Pack.... This happened to me and had 3 cylinders running rich and 1 running lean... Caught it early though...

Injector Resistor Pack is a silver Mars bar shaped thing usually located at the strut turret but sometimes bolted to the floor below the passenger side headlight which leaves it open to water damage...

Rishi