wheel size for racing

bernieGTIR

Ok I’m a bit new to the gtir so not too sure what wheels to go for.

I will be doing sprints and hill climbs with the odd track day. I was thinking about going 16's with 225 45 tyres but not too sure if that the right way to go.
so list what you use and why

thanks bernie :-D

Last edited:

olliecast

Hi Bernie and welcome,
I`m using 15" wheels at the moment with wilwood brakes under (only just clear)

Because i`m only doing sprints and hillclimbs it doesn`t really give chance for repeat use of the brakes over long periods of time. If i were to do trackdays, i would`ve gone for a 16" wheel with the larger (330mm iirc) disc setup to handle to heat better.

Cheers,
ollie

bernieGTIR

Thanks m8.
What size tyres do you use with the 15's and what J are they (7J etc) and do you know if 16" by 8J will fit with 225 40 16's tyres

Last edited:

olliecast

I think they're 195 50 15's but when I get my toyo's for next year I might go for 45's.

I'll check on the speed ratings later

Tk1

i run 7x 15's with 195 50 yoko parada spec 2's (list 1a tyres for road going) find them better than the toyo t1r , i also use 285 wilwood 4 pots

dencon

I,ve tried 15" and 17" wheels but find 15" by far the best for sprinting and hillclimbing. I use Toyo 888 sg compound, 205 x 50 x 15 which is a
1b tyre. Being fully modified I now use Avon slicks, but again using 71/2" x 15" x 28et wheels. Rota Slipstreams. cheers den.

Jon Olds

Rally with 16's and 17's. Prob going to downsize the front brakes and try 15's. BUT, and its a big but, I'm worried about the front brakes overheating on 10+ mile stages....

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
16"x7" ET35 with 6POT 304mmx28mm discs for track use.

I have used 225mm tyres, but I'm not that keen on it.

bernieGTIR

thanks for the info i will prob go 7 by16's with 225 45 R888.

i was thinking about geting a big disc kit and using the std calipers for now or i might just give rally desing a call and get a set of wilwoods

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You might have rubbing issues with 225/45/16s on an 8x16.

I had 225/40/16s with 7x16s on for a while and under heavy suspension compression you could hear rubbing. Yours will be larger and possibly slightly wider with the wheels, so I'd expect more rubbing.

Last edited:

bracpan

You be better off fitting a 8ins wheel with a 225 section tyre.....and please type in a darker colour as that light blue is doing my eyes in....
Phil

bernieGTIR

The blue looked ok to me sorry m8.

I was only thinking of running a 225 tyre as I want as much rubber on the track as possible.
If I’m only going to be running 205 is it not best to run 17's with a 40 profile as that’s what I have at the moment?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Doesn't it depend what you're after; I appreciate that this may be semantics, but a larger wheel will give you a higher top-end speed, but will take you longer to get there. A small wheel allows for better acceleration, but less top-end speed.

I thought the sweet spot was about 16" for a GTiR - that gives you enough clearance that the car can handle, with enough radius to get some speed... but not so much that you can't accelerate.

I would suggest something like a 205/40/16, but I don't track my car so accept that I may have it all wrong.

bracpan

I run 16's with 205/45/16...you also have to be carefull of the loading ( wieght on the one wheel when conering heavy) of the tyres specially as the Pulsar is so nose heavy and can overload some lower rated tyres so make sure before bying. I was going to try some 205/40/16 but the tyre was marginal...
Phil