Wheel Bolts********SORTED now with pics********

Stevo

One of mine keep turning, so i can get me wheel off. :cry:
i think the main bolt in the disc has snapped, does this mean new disc??
as my braking is spot on with my standard setup!

sypher

the R uses studs pressed into the hub flange, as you would no dought noticed when u took off nuts not bolts. what probably has happened is that the splines on either the stud or the flange has stripped. in which case it'll mean a new stud only ''IF'' the flange splines are OK, if not a new flange is needed and studs. oh usually to replace the flange you'll need a new bearing aswell...

the disk just passes over the studs and is clamped on

as for getting the wheel of first try tightening it then remove it (try and lock the stud) if not air gun if not surgery!!!!!!

Stevo

i see, rite the bolts wont come out it just keeps spinning wither way.

if i take the caliper off with the disc, can i then bang the bolt out then replace it, or do i need a new unit qith 4 studs which connect to the hub??

Any pics pls guys? were can i get the stud flange thing from?

Stevo

Anyone?
How can i get wheel off??
undo wishbone? lower ball joint and drive shaft??
this should anable the wheel caliper and hub to come off???

Any easier way? :cry:

zia

remove the clahper bolts around the back (2* 17mm) hang the caliper out of the way
remove the disc
rotate the flange until you have enough clearance between hub and flange
re fit wheel nut to naff stud(until it,s flush) and using hammer hit toward the hub. if the clearance is ok the stud should come out without hub removel,
fit new stud to flange (make sure splines are clean on the stud. fit new wheel nut if possible and slowly tighten until stud is through flange.if this doesn,t work you have to remove entire hub assembly and remove flange from hub by knocking it out (you,ll need new bearing etc)

zia

Stevo

mate i cant take disc off as one of the bolts wont come out, so the wheel is held on by one bolt/nut

zia

you have no choice but to drill out the nut with small pilot hole on the each side then use flat screwdriver to prise it apart from the stud. .or take it to garage and they,ll use hammer chisel to take it off (will probably mash your wheel hole)

zia

sypher

agree with Zia this'll be the best option imho, or you could try this i'll admit be surprised if it works but hey!! take all the nuts off then get someone to pull on the wheel whilst you attempt to undo it, all you're trying to do is get the stud to stay still by gripping something

Stevo

ok, is it possible to do the following?!?!?!

take the wheel bearing off! undo the ball joint so the whole hub is hanging from the top strut, then from behind the hub hammer or drill the stud out???????? as i dont wanna mash my wheel hole :cry:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You could try that, but you won't need to touch the wheel bearing, the flexible brake hose will limit your movement, don't pull on it or you may end up breaking it. You will probably need to take the dust shield off if you can get to it.

Your only option might be to undo the brake hose, driveshaft nut, ball joints suspension mounts and take the complete whell and hub assembly off. But even then it might not be too easy to get to the back of the stud.

It might be easier to try drilling the stud through the nut until the nut falls off, but it won't be too easy and you'll need a bigass drill bit. :?

Stevo

even if i get the nut off and the wheel comes off, how do i get round replacing the bolts and flange unit.
either way the bolt unit has to come off!!!

Stevo

anyone got a pic with the disc and caliper off!!!!!
so i can see what behind the disc!! or a pic from behind

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I depends on why the stud is loose as to what you need to do to sort it.
It should be easy enough to split everything when you get that nut off, but I'd recommend cracking loose all the nuts on the assembly just so you don't find one is too tight when (if :? ) you get it all off the car.

The stud may have just fallen out of the hole, but I realy can't see that.
The stud may be knackered (replace it)
The flange may be damaged (replace that, and probably the stud for the sake of it)
The may be some thing else that I can't think of off the top of my head.

The flange might pull out, or you may need a hub puller.

Stevo

so if i wedge sum wood to hold the wheel nut then drill the living shit out of it, so the end falls off :wink: , then once wheel caliper and disc is off, can i asset what the prob is?? and from that point i can take the flange and the bolts out and maybe replace the whole lot?? :lol:

Stevo

Sorted the problem, i got a 4 way cross nut remover, and jumped on the cross ans snapped the bolt head right off
his a few pics of the little bugger

Now i cant get wheel bearing off as i dont have the socket size! anyone know what size i need? now were the red arrow is, is the flange once wheel bearing is out will the flange bang off? so where the green arrow is that will stay on the hub???

im so proud of myself LOL

now will nissan keep a flange and bolts in stock??

paz

I know they stock the bolts, as I went for a nut the other day and asked for a bolt by mistake :oops: :lol:

Just my f-ing luck, they had the bolt but no nuts :twisted: lol

Good job btw matey ;)

paz

paz

Stevo said:
thanks paz :wink:
i got nuts ok, just need 4 bolts :p
im sure halfords sell the wheel nuts :?
n/p's mate ;) found out i need a special kind of nut, i've got sparco rims on, and the nuts like a giant allen key :( :lol:

paz

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is that flange stopping the stud coming out?

The driveshaft nut is a 32mm deep socket. You'll need to probably just hang the disc back on, put the wheel on and lower the car down so you can undo the driveshaft nut, as you won't undo it without being able to stop the driveshaft rotating.(cos it's very tight :wink: )

The drive flange may pull out easily or you may need a hub puller ( or the not recommended (cos you could damage it) way of knock it out from behind) It depends on the state of wear.

It is possible when (if you have to) take the drive flange out, the wheel bearing will split in 2 with part on the flange, the outer still in the hub and bits on the floor in between :? So it may be worth having a new one on standby (and a press to replace it with)