Whats the best intercooler?

R

Randers

Hi, i'm looking into a new intercooler upgrade front mount but don't really know what i'm looking for, please can someone give me some advice on this?
What is the best one? Looks,BHP and fitting.
Thanks
Rob

J

justin666

Either the Forge or hybrid kits seem to be pretty popular.

Have got the forge FMIC on mine and it took a weekend of work (Taking it very easily) to get it in. Only Minimal Bodywork mods are required to get the forge kit fitted so as a personal choice I would recomend it again and again.. :)

However.. A few people are now using the hybrid FMIC. From what I hear its a good bit of kit made even more desirable by the fact its alot cheaper that the forge.

J..

O

Odin

And the fact that the hybrid kit uses 90% hard pipes and the forge uses 90% samco's lol.

Makes the hybrid the winner every time for me, Oh and i'v had both by the way :wink:

rob

geetee

I've got the standard top mount and only have a problem when sitting in a traffic jam. But at that point I'm not really arsed about my peak boost.

2 minutes out of the traffic jam it's cooled off and performs well. It also has a very neat, short pipe run that induces no extra lag.

The Nissan TMIC is very well designed in terms of heat transfer. People moan about it too much.

Go spend your 6 - 700 quid on something worthwhile like brakes.

:twisted: :twisted: :evil: devil's advocate :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

P

petegtir

at what point (bhp or boost) doest the top mount stop being useful and need an upgrade?

A

Allan GTI-R

petegtir said:
at what point (bhp or boost) doest the top mount stop being useful and need an upgrade?
There's a GTI-R in New Zealand that has gone 11.20 using the top mount.

:)

O

Odin

I did mine first time around just because I like the look of the front mount if i'm being honest :oops: , And also because I got fed up haveing to remove it every time I wanted to work on my car 8) :lol: .

I did gain a fair amount of torque over the top mount though, So all in all I think it's worth doing, Also it's no where near £700 these days as you can get a hybrid kit shipped over for less than £400 including tax 8) .

It only took me about a day to fit with the right tools, But you do need to move the washer bottle to the boot of find a smaller one.

rob

LOU ROB

vpulsar said:
And the fact that the hybrid kit uses 90% hard pipes and the forge uses 90% samco's lol.
rob
The way round that is to buy just the forge intercooler and make a custom hard pipe run :p

I know the forge intercooler has took 2.2 bar of boost, no problem :wink:

O

Odin

Yeah thats the same as mine fella but with black hoses :wink: , It goes under the front and up through each inner wing mate, you just need to cut two 2 3/4" holes I did mine 3" just so I had plenty of space. You will also need to move the washer bottle to the boot or find a smaller one that will fit.

If you have a non standard turbo like me you will also need to cut the flanged end off the turbo pipe supplyed :wink: .

rob

S

Stoned

vpulsar said:
Yeah thats the same as mine fella but with black hoses :wink: , It goes under the front and up through each inner wing mate, you just need to cut two 2 3/4" holes I did mine 3" just so I had plenty of space. You will also need to move the washer bottle to the boot or find a smaller one that will fit.

If you have a non standard turbo like me you will also need to cut the flanged end off the turbo pipe supplyed :wink: .

rob
How much extra lag was there with all that pipework, and do you need to put the battery in the boot?

ki_saj_ng

not sure if im totally correct here but iv been told that the TMIC will support upto 1.4 bar with correct fueling etc.

:?:

C

carpy100

my brothers just had the hybrid fitted, took em 2 hours!
you get nicely radiusd hard pipes in the kit with blue hoses.it seems to be a good cooler.and he left his air con in.he payed about 400 shipped, only took a week.didnt notice anymore lag either :wink:

R

Randers

alright thanks people where can i find a hybrid cooler from?

O

Odin

Randers said:
alright thanks people where can i find a hybrid cooler from?
theres plenty on ebay, just do a serach I can't be bothered it's to late :cry: .

rob

S

stokie1

just got a hybrid cooler, out of intrest any one konw how
much hp it will handle, some net sites say 800ps and
other people rate it at 600hp, getting engine dyno'ed soon
could do with knowing before then, in case i have to get new
cooler sortrd

O

Odin

stokie1 said:
just got a hybrid cooler, out of intrest any one konw how
much hp it will handle, some net sites say 800ps and
other people rate it at 600hp, getting engine dyno'ed soon
could do with knowing before then, in case i have to get new
cooler sortrd

I think your be safe enough fella :wink: :lol: .

rob