What would you do if you were starting again?

Mad

Impossible question to answer really as depends on the power difference but would always opt with better suspension & handling package over power. :-D

Tim

What would be quicker round a track, a car with a really good handling set up and not much power or a more powerful car that didnt handle as well?
Far too many other variables to take into account to answer that question, let's start with the driver .. Not sure about you chaps, but I'm a driving god.

MarkTurbo

Ok, we'll say the lesser handling car had enough of a power advantage that it could pull away down the straights.

Tim

Are we saying lesser handling car is on some wu-sing ditch finder tyres and is running EBC Greens?

If so, they probably keep a lesser powered well setup car car at bay for one lap and then just become a nusance and get in the way.

johnsy

id say it would probably be more track orientated,

silverstone and cadwell are 2 extreme examples, big power for silverstone where the lesser power car would have no chance ,then cadwell where its all about traction and braking so would maybe be able to hang on to back of the higher powered car through the technical bits but come the straight id hazzard a guess you struggle, 300bhp car not so much but i cant see a 220bhp keeping up

skiddusmarkus

What's your spec then Tim?As plenty here have got decent suspension and brakes and 50%+ over standard power.A 100 bhp advantage is going to open up a lot of ground accelerating from 30-100mph over and over.

ChrisS

forged 2.0 engine, 3071r, full 3inch exhaust with some decent silencing, quaiffe box, decent brakes (AP or similar), polybushed with a set of gabs running around 400bhp.

Annoying thing is I had most of this and then sold it to buy something different (single turbo rx7).

Id still want circa 400bhp in an R but with a responsive turbo like the 3071 I dont see it been any disadvantage lag wise ect compared to a disco potatoe but is going to give such a bigger hit power wise. Reliability with this if the supporting mds are there is good (or was for me). Certainly wouldnt go chasing mega power with bigger turbos and narrow power bands unless it is a purely drag focussed car.

dencon

To get back to the thread,
If starting again , I would put everything in front of the engine in the rear, and I would sit on the left and flick the PPG without clutch and flatshift, left foot braking.
Dose,nt sound fantastic. den.
ps. without bov.

vpulsar

John,

Sorry mate, but you are a little bit behind with the times. You dont have to spend 100k to get 600bhp. The top time attack cars are running 750 - 800bhp and are costing 100k +. The Pro Class winners are running circa 600bhp.

LoL I'm behind the time hahaha, I was ahead of nearly all you lot. I actually built a 500 + bhp Pulsar, And I wasn't referring to the pulsar as a possible time attack car that would be bloody ridiculous it would be useless, Any wally with a fat bank account could build a 600 bhp car, It's keeping it together that's the problem sunshine, And is why I now have something a lot more sensible a suited to a man of my advanced years.

John

stumo

neither they both break down...lol
lol

the choice between say a GTiR with disco potato making 360hp (and handles well) or one making 450hp and not handling.

the disco one would win hands down (if you could stop them breaking down LOL)

P

pulsarboby

lol

the choice between say a GTiR with disco potato making 360hp (and handles well) or one making 450hp and not handling.

the disco one would win hands down (if you could stop them breaking down LOL)

as that man said

handling over power anytime
if you can get round a bend faster youll carry more speed on the straights its as simple as that. as the old saying goes ''late on the brakes 1st on the straights''

thing is with the pulsar is that it is a nose heavy car with the aerodynamics of a house brick lol, so you will always be limited to how far you can go with handling side of things.
if the power outweighs the handling then youll just spend a lot of time going sideways instead of forwards which will result in slower lap times.

if you take my megabusa for example.....its a car built for purpose, it may not have the punch of a gtir after around 100mph but it will go round bends much faster due to its balance and setup.
so thats why im 4 seconds a lap quicker at cadwell park in the westfield than the pulsar

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If I was starting again. I'd benchmark my RB up the strip as totally standard. Then I'd max out the standard turbo whilst it was in good condition and try and get that 11s pass on it. Then I'd go for abit more power and do everything a damn site quicker than I've done currently. I could probably have been running 10s years ago if I'd pull my finger out.

iomegalinux

i would do it the same way, except for the damn short shifter, it killed my gearbox.

now with a gt2871r, all whiteline around. teins SS

3" elbow still on my list

Spikey

I would prob try Build a Nme Car with All the Stickers too :)
Maybe would be cheaper to go buy one hidden somewhere.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I think if I where to do it again I'd do this>>>>>>

forged engine.
quaif box.
AP brakes.
Motec.
alloy rad.
oil cooler.
Disco potato. (350 bhp) perfect!
poly bushed
gabs
strut braces.

Job done.

I'd then thrash the life out of it at my local track and drag strip, Happy in the knowledge that it wont brake down (much) lol.

And I'd of probably saved myself about 30k in the process.

I could probably not bother with the motec but when it was mapped properly it transformed the way the car drove giving good MPG and a fantastic quick/smooth and very responsive car.

John
I remember phone conversations as far back as 2005/2006 where we would often come to the same conclusion.