What Wheels For Standard Setup?

M

macphegf

I currently have a (rare) standard R with tiny standard 14" wheels. My problem is that I drive the car fast on Scottish back roads (very bumpy and poor surface!) and don't want problems with tyres rubbing, or make the handling worse. I was thinking along the 16" line but would like your input!

Cheers!

S

Stoned

I've got 16's on mine, and lowerd 25mm all round and even with 5 people in the car it doesnt rub so I wouldnt worry mate :)

M

macphegf

Well so much for that, I just went and bought 17's with 205 40 tyres :D !! Hope they don't rub! :shock:

ki_saj_ng

i had 17s on mine, with 205/40 tyres. dropped about 40-50mm and was ok for most of the time, BUT around some heavy bends downhill always rubbed!

next time round i will go for 16s but thats just my opinion.

saj 8)

M

macphegf

Well if anyone's interested I think I should have got 16". The 17" rub on n/s front arch when cornering fast or going over dips in road fast. Also I think either they have put my speedo out or they weigh a ton and have slowed the car.

My advice would be to go for 16"s!!

M

macphegf

Yeah, I rekon the speedo is out by as much as 10% but haven't ckecked for certain yet. Does anyone know how much the standard wheels weigh?

M

macphegf

Went for 205 40X17, will try and weigh each of two wheels and see what the difference is. Was told something like 215 45x17 would correct speedo, but would prob also give much more rubbing. With no lowering the car does look a bit Max Flower but it'll have to do till I can afford to get light weight 16's. If anyone wants to swap :lol: pm me! Won't be doing any weighing soon though as on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow :D !

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I put 215/35/16s on mine, ball locks to the speedo, I wanted better acceleration :wink:

215/45s would put you even further out 215/35s would be closer :wink: