What tyre pressures on 17s?

K

KrissJ

I've got 17" wheels with 205/40/17 tyres. What tyre pressures should I be using front & rear?

Cheers

Boooooost

I just use the factory settings on the 'b' pillar, I work in vw dealership and the only time the pressures vary on a model is with different engines. e.g. golf gti would have the same pressures on 15's or 16's but the diesel would be different as the engine trans is heavier. Clear as mud :lol:

S

samellio

I would set 17s really high in the r more like 40 psi... If you look near where the umbrealla holder is there should be a sticker with tyre pressure settings for the standard tyres.. around 2.6 bar front (38psi??) around 2.4 at the back(34psi??).. standard tyres have much higher profiles- 17's (205,40,17) have fook all so i would have thought you'd need more pressure than standard.
I've tracked r's with 17s 15s and 14,s and have found to my cost that unless you keep the presures really high the wear on the edges of the front tyres is dreadful.. if you don't drive hard then you would be more comfortable running lower pressures and ultimately may get more mileage but 28 psi on your wheel i think would put you at risk of damaging the wheel..
Ian why do you run 28psi?? Do you ever track your car running those pressures?

A

Anonymous

i got 17's

i got 17's as well on 205 40 17 uniroyal's. i run 36 psi but due to different tyre manufacturers spec/strength of side walls can vary. for instance avons have really crappy sidewalls and 'bulge' alot on the fronts so u put a bitmore in em to make em less bulge. its where the sidewall isnt beefy enough for the weight. has anyone got 215/40/17s??? do u clear bottom of suspension?? would like this size for rim protection cuz 205 40 17 are stretched out to the rim an i aint got no rim protection.