what turbo upgrade

GTI_R

Thinking about changing the turbo .
currently using turbo technics stage 1 @ 1.4bar

problem i have is im using a pace front mount which sits where the rad is supposed to sit and moves the rad towards the turbo .
This gives very little room between the slimline rad fans and turbo
So my question is is there a replacement turbo that is pretty much the same size as the turbo im using .
and that will also bolt upto my 3inch front pipe without having to get a new pipe made

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Rob, what do you want a new turbo for? Last time I looked there was quite a bit more to come from your existing unit with more boost and ignition timing. If you remember me saying the ignition timing on your car was quite conservative.

GTI_R

using some oil jim .. that turbo is over 10years old ..
when i put my foot to the floor i get a puff of blue smoke on gear change so what i was thinking is instead of changing for the same unit put somthing bigger on that has the abbility to help run more power if i ever go that way ..

red reading

Just do as jim says, if you can get more from the current setup do it. Ps a puff of blue smoke is nothing really out of the ordinary for a turbo car, and oil usage is the same especially on forged engines due to piston Clearence and wider piston ring gaps, if you start puffing smoke all the time then there is a problem!

red reading

Boost is not what you need to know, flow is the thing you need to know. And remember more boost,flow and ign timing will make more torque too have you got a clutch and gearbox that can take it?

GTI_R

gearbox and transfer were fully rebuilt 10,000kms ago . To standard spec ,
Clutch is an exceedy capable of 400bhp
engine is more than capable is fully forged
management is apexi power fc
have full 3 inch exhaust inc very flowy front pipe .

limitations for more alot more power app are turbo and injectors ..
Was just curious as to what the turbo can give

found my power graph Jim was in with all the housey stuff when we moved
This was at 1.45bar but ran like a bag of shite afterwards that was untill Jim had a fettle with it

Last edited:

red reading

Well, good luck, much over 400 your excedy clutch will fall apart, and in the standard gearbox 3rd is the weak link and 380lbft of torque or there abouts normally strips the teeth off the gear, so tread carefully for chasing more power .
also be careful with larger turbo selection or you may and will find bigger turbos come on boost later in the rev range which being that you live on the iow could be more hassle than its worth.

I used to run a standard turbo at 21-22psi btw so a 360 thrust bearing one should be able to run bait more

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
if your puffing smoke on gear change, it'll prob's be the (head) valve stems that are tired.

I had the same issue and refreshed the seals (seal kit from Nissan), hey presto the smoke on gear change when away :thumb:

GTI_R

engine has only done about 8000miles since a FULL rebuild so doubt it will be them .
runs on 10w 60
only thing that makes me say turbo is purely because of the age of the unit was bought in 2001 for a differnt car ran 1 bar for 5000miles . car was crashed then the turbo was fitted to this car in 2002 been running 1 bar for 8 years then in 2010 was upped to 1.45 prob only done about 25000miles in total

t16coupe

not sure got the info from here
S169 Nissan Sunny/Pulsar GTi-R Stage 1 This pocket rocket was originally designed for Group B Rally homologation. Why not make full use of its fantastic 4wd chassis by fitting our stage 1 hybrid turbo? The car will be transformed, with super car performance to match its super car grip.

The S169 hybrid utilises the standard sized T28 as used in standard form, but the addition of a 360 degree thrust bearing, in place of the standard 270 degree thrust bearing, means that this turbo can run high boost efficiently and reliably. An uprated actuator is also supplied, and allows the turbo to be adjusted between 10 and 25PSI maximum boost pressure. With relatively mild engine and fuelling modifications, this turbo can flow enough air to support up to 300BHP!

£549 + VAT - Buy now

MarkTurbo

in the standard gearbox 3rd is the weak link and 380lbft of torque or there abouts normally strips the teeth off the gear
I know all about that :lol:

I'd leave it somewhere around 330-350 bhp as that's more than enough for road/track use and is where I would have left mine if I hadn't started racing it. Anymore than that is where it starts getting expensive with needing better gearboxes & clutches!

Fusion Ed

not sure got the info from here
S169 Nissan Sunny/Pulsar GTi-R Stage 1 This pocket rocket was originally designed for Group B Rally homologation. Why not make full use of its fantastic 4wd chassis by fitting our stage 1 hybrid turbo? The car will be transformed, with super car performance to match its super car grip.

The S169 hybrid utilises the standard sized T28 as used in standard form, but the addition of a 360 degree thrust bearing, in place of the standard 270 degree thrust bearing, means that this turbo can run high boost efficiently and reliably. An uprated actuator is also supplied, and allows the turbo to be adjusted between 10 and 25PSI maximum boost pressure. With relatively mild engine and fuelling modifications, this turbo can flow enough air to support up to 300BHP!

£549 + VAT - Buy now
Hardly an upgrade is it... :)