what to do next

A

Anonymous

hey,

I am looking to find out what would be the best next performance mod for my R?
I have currently got an HKS Induction kit, HKS sqv bov, Mongoose full system ( turbo back ), Alloys, Lowered suspension. So what to you think?

Cheers kev.

Keira

boost up grade next i reckon

depending on how much you want to spend you could get either..

electronic boost controller... not cheap

bleed valve...cheap.

dawes device..cheap.

or....

ex-gtirs electronic switchable boost mod :wink: cheap and gives you the option of running standard or higher boost at the flick of a button.

A

Anonymous

I heard you shouldnt put the boost up on its own as its bad for the engine, also was told definetly not to put a bleed valve on, but as i say thats just what i heard dont know if theres truth in it or not.

any ideas?

Cheers kev.

Keira

nonsense...

Aslong as everything is working 1bar (14psi) is safe and most people on here are running their cars atleast that..

It is recommended to uprate the fuel pump though, and use optimax.

A

Anonymous

Whitey said:
hey,

I am looking to find out what would be the best next performance mod for my R?
I have currently got an HKS Induction kit, HKS sqv bov, Mongoose full system ( turbo back ), Alloys, Lowered suspension. So what to you think?

Cheers kev.
i`d go for brakes next :shock:
the overall performance of the car will improve if you`ve got decent brakes and you were to go by lap times.
if you go for a boost upgrade,you`ll only show up the shortcomings of the brakes anyway.

A

Anonymous

(OAP-R)
I've been thinking that, was thinking of the brembo 4pot 280mm conversion.

(kieron)
So what out of that list would you say to do first then?
If youve not guessed this is my first turbo motor so i'm learning as i go!!!

Do i need a Fuel Cut Defenser??

Cheers kev.

Keira

Forgot about brakes... :oops:

no need for fuel cut defencer..

go for good front brakes ( hi-specs dont cost too much ), uprated fuel pump and either a dawes or bleed valve set to 1bar on a rolling road..

As oap-r says you could always go boost first but will inevitably end up scaring youself into getting better brakes anyway :shock: :lol:

A

Anonymous

well which one a dawes or a bleed valve? What works better?
Brakes should come in the next month, should i uprate the rears aswell?

whats the spec of your R

A

Anonymous

Whitey said:
well which one a dawes or a bleed valve? What works better?
Brakes should come in the next month, should i uprate the rears aswell?

whats the spec of your R
i think the dawes device is a bit more reliable and accurate than the bleed valve.the scooby boys swear by them i believe.

don`t think many people uprate the rears but if you`ve got the money i don`t see the harm in doing the rears as well.

i`ve got 315mm 6 pot tarox brakes.cost approx £1700 a good few years back.there absolute sihte.hi spec seem to be well regarded.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I've got the Godspeed 325mm drilled/slotted disks+four pots on the front and there 285mm drilled/slotted disks with standard calipers on the rear, they are excelant and will stop you on a dime, at around 1k for the kit I have no complaints.

Oh and they look the part aswell 8)

A

Anonymous

Where would i get a dawes device??
Where does it go on my engine??

Cheers kev.

A

Anonymous

Whitey said:
Where would i get a dawes device??
Where does it go on my engine??
the garage in wishaw maybe or srb from this forum.i think most tuners will be able to get them for you and i`m sure i`ve seen them advertised in jap performance and the like.

mattygti-r

if you wanted any boost mods. i.e Greddy Profec B spec 2? or something similar pm me as i can order from japan for u mate

thanks

matt

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Whitey said:
I heard you shouldnt put the boost up on its own as its bad for the engine, also was told definetly not to put a bleed valve on, but as i say thats just what i heard dont know if theres truth in it or not.
The two items are normally related and stem from people fitting bleed valves and not resisting the temptation to turn the boost up. On some cars if you turn the boost up on it's own, you run the engine lean and cause det and hence a blown engine. Normally you need to increase the fuelling if you want to turn the boost up. On any car if you turn the boost up far enough on it's own, you'll blow the engine, maybe a headgasket first if you're lucky.

Just to clarify, as far as I'm aware on the Gtir you can put the boost up to around .9bar with no changes to fuelling. To be on the safe side an uprated fuel pump should be fitted at around this point tho.