What oil in g/box, transfer box and diff after being rebuilt

J

jiw

Hi, i have had my gearbox and transfer box rebuilt and i am confused as to which oils to use, lots of different motorsport shops have been reccomending different grades and brands for lsd etc.

what is everyone using, not arsed how much it costs as long as its good stuff.

thanks, jeff

J

jasegould

Redline MT90 in the gearbox, get it from Demontweeks....or use Castrol Syntrx....make sure you get the correct grade

youngsyp

I had the Castrol stuff put in mine by SE. The gearbox drain plug now leaks very slightly. Could this be down to the oil being thinner or, have the cross threaded the plug ? I have had it checked recently and it is tight !

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Well, I have syntrax in and it doesn't leak, so that leaves option 2. But you shouldn't be albe to cross thread it without trying realy hard as it's in such an easy place to get to by hand.
The manual does show to use sealant on the drain plug, I haven't tho and no leaks.

youngsyp

Looks like SE strikes again then :roll: I'll have a go at cleaning it then might get someone else to do the job again.
Out of interest, sorry for hijacking the thread but, is it normal practice to remove or undo the NSF wishbone rear bush bracket( the one the anti lift kit replaces) when changing the clutch ?

J

jiw

i dropped my engine and box without undoing them bolts so i dont think you need to, is best to drop the engine whilst replacing the clutch anyway.

so the redline mt90 in the box, what about the transfer box and diff, thank's, jeff

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I can't see why it would need undoing unless you have a 4 point lower brace fitted, but then I haven't had to do my clutch yet.

J

jiw

rite i am going to use redline mt90 n the box as this seems a common thing to use

i now need oils for both the rear diff and the transfer box

is millers crx ls 80w90 applicable to any of these as i have 2 litres of this sitting around

jeff.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
80W90 is preferable for differential gear (for northern Europe), transaxle and transfer for ambient temperatures below 40degsC