What GT turbo to go for?

K

krikra

ATM Im running the Disco Potato and its very good. Making around 350hp :)

But now that I have everything taken appart and doing my blow through setup I want a bigger turbo :wink: Plan is 400-420hp

Find it very hard to choose between the following:

GT2871R

GT2576R

GT3071R-WG

They all have adv. and disadv. but would really like some advice and/or personal experiences....................

Im at standard CR (8.7) so dont want to go silly high boost.
Would 400hp @ 1-1.2bar be within reach on theese turbos?

K

krikra

Sure :?

ATP told me that up to 16PSI the GT28RS and the GT3071R would be equal.. and then past 16psi the 3071 would be efficient whereas the 28RS wouldnt. So the GT3071R would just "cary on" from there. He kinda confirmed that the GT3071R was supposed to work at high boost..

And that scared me a little as thats NOT what I am after.

Im talking about the internal wastegated GT3071R though.....T25 turbine housing. Not sure if there is much difference between this and the "real" GT3071R.

ashills

the 3071 should do around 450at 1.6 bar
turbo dynamics say they've dyno'd a gtir at 475 at 1.7bar
id go with that turbo spools very fast no real lag issues

K

krikra

I was very close to buying this 3071R-WG but wasnt to happy with this high boost turbo labelling.. Someone in here also wrote that the GT3071R wasnt peaking untill 2bar+ :?:

Sweeny

What about the 3076 :?:

What power would it make at 1.2bar, or would it just be too laggy at that boost.

K

krikra

No the 3076R is going to be a little to laggy and I would prefer to keep it T25 flanged and internal WG.

think its down to
GT2871R or (400hp)
GT3071R-WG (0.64A/R) (430hp)

O

Odin

I have the JGY BB37R turbo on mine it made 400bhp at 1.4 bar on ginger's car, But that was with a really bad set up so could maybe do better on a better motor, Paul did say he found it to laggy but I would think with a gas flowed standard manifold like mine and a 3" elbow it will be a lot better.

It has an internal wastgate and a t25 flang :wink: .

http://www.jgycustoms.com/serg20/turbos.htm

it's the one on the right.

rob

ashills

i wouldnt buy one of them tbh V
when i took my bb37 to Turbo Dynamics they laughed at the quality of the machining it was poor and that was what caused alot of the lag issues i did speak to jgy about it etc and they said they were working on improving it etc but i dont think u can beat british machining etc
there was less lag on the 3071 than there was on the 2781 i got from jgy

O

Odin

I will just have to wait and see what i think of it then, You might of got a friday afternoon turbo :wink: .

If it's cr@p it's going in the bin :wink: .

rob

JIMMYBACK

vpulsar said:
I will just have to wait and see what i think of it then, You might of got a friday afternoon turbo :wink: .

If it's cr@p it's going in the bin :wink: .

rob
well let as know v n u will save me some wonga
cheers jimmy :D

K

krikra

Fast Guy said:
Try the GT28RS, Edds old car made 431bhp at 1.3 bar with that turbo.
You must be thinking of the GTRS..
GT28RS is what I have now. "Disco Potato" it can handle 350hp.

L

leeboy

What sort of money did you pay for the disco potato??, and where??

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
krikra said:
I was very close to buying this 3071R-WG but wasnt to happy with this high boost turbo labelling.. Someone in here also wrote that the GT3071R wasnt peaking untill 2bar+

I looked at the compressor map for the "real" GT3071R...
It hits 400bhp @ 1bar and 450bhp @ 2.3bar...

There isn't a compressor map for the WG so i don't know how different it is...

Keira

is that supposed to read 1.3bar not 2.3 :shock: ?????

a 50bhp increase for over twice the boost aint very good :(

nismoboy

ive got the gt2871r with the .86 and the 3 inch inlet and i think its superb. Its very low lag and pulls very well allthrough the rev range only thing im not sure about is how much bhp its good for :?: some say 400bhp some say 450 bhp im hoping its the later.Im currently running 1.2 bar and its making 350 bhp and 350 lbft but then i have cams, head work, 3inch turbo elbow etc.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
krikra said:
Fast Guy said:
You must be thinking of the GTRS.
The GT28RS properly setup might get up to 400 but at +1.6 Bar Looking at the flow map I don't see how it can make 431hp at 1.3 Bar?

I'm in a similar situation but think I can get up to 380hp from the GT28RS at 1.6 Bar. Personally, my next jump is the GT2871R that gives better flow with though boosts later but would be a better option for 380-420hp.

Jim

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
campbellju said:
krikra said:
Fast Guy said:
You must be thinking of the GTRS.
The GT28RS properly setup might get up to 400 but at +1.6 Bar Looking at the flow map I don't see how it can make 431hp at 1.3 Bar?

I'm in a similar situation but think I can get up to 380hp from the GT28RS at 1.6 Bar.
Jim

Edd got the 431bhp @ 1.3bar from an HKS GTRS and not the GT28RS...

How are you going to get 380bhp from a GT28RS... At 1.6bar you are looking at about 340bhp...

kieron said:
is that supposed to read 1.3bar not 2.3 :shock: ?????

a 50bhp increase for over twice the boost aint very good :(
No... 450bhp @ 2.3bar... Boost curves aren't liniar remember... every turbo is designed a certain way for a reason...

You may only get 450bhp @ 2.3bar but think of the Torque you would get from running that kind of boost on a turbo like that...

Rishi