what front mount should I go for??

K

krikra

What front mount intercooler kit is any good?
Hiteq
Forge
Radtec
HKS
Norris design
others?

All comments are welcome

Kristian

M

memski

How much money have you got and how far do you intend to take your R?

celm

go with norris.i have the full forge kit, and ive been hesitating to install it cause i have to cut the front bumper :( Or u buy the ND and ill trade you :D

K

krikra

Here's a little more details;
The price is not really a concern.. as long as it's bang for the buck 8)

I don't really mind cutting up my front bumper -as long as it serves a good cause- wich I think a BIG intercooler is..

I only just got my first gtir a few weeks ago, and I'm very happy with it so far. Untill summer the car is just parked in my garage and my plan is to do some modifications during this period. My (first) goal is to end up with 300hp without touching the internals..

The plan is;
front mount intercooler
full exhaust
air filter
blow off valve
electronic valve control
uprated fuel pump

have i forgotten anything?

I will probably boost 1,0-1,2 bar??? around 300hp??

I just don't know much about theese different intercooler kits available..

K

krikra

yeah I'll probably have to fit a stronger clutch too
I'll put that on the list

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
clutch, 1bar, fuel pump and plugs. :wink:
I have the forge fitted, did it myself, 2day job and you'll need an angle grinder for the bumper barce bar and a hacksaw for under the drivers side headlight.

K

krikra

I really like the FORGE one and the price is fair too..
Looks brutal and if u guys say it works fine - then FORGE it is
Would be nice with some comments on the hiteq and ND solutions though..

Keira

Fast Guy said:
I have the forge fitted, did it myself, 2day job and you'll need an angle grinder
F*ck me.

And i thought mine took along time :shock:

Fastguy were you using a clockwork wind up grinder or something :)

celm

so there is no way to install the forge kit w/out cutting up the front bumper.im in the states here so fnding a GTIR bumper isnt easy.that why i dont want to cut it up.any advice on how to install it w/out cutting bumper

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
kieron said:
Fast Guy said:
I have the forge fitted, did it myself, 2day job and you'll need an angle grinder
F*ck me.

And i thought mine took along time :shock:

Fastguy were you using a clockwork wind up grinder or something :)
It felt like it at times. :( I tried a cutting disc, but found a grinding disc cut alot faster. Go figure. Plus it was the first job I'd done on my Gtir, so I had tools in one hand and instructions in the other :p

The Norris front mount requires the radiator to be lowered by about 75mm, so new mounts would probably need welding in place.

A

AJ4

Got a Forge as well - the front bumper brace is not that difficult to cut, I used a standard jigsaw with a hacksaw blade, took about 5 mins :D Took about 4 hours to fit all in all ( about three of those hours were fitting the bastard pipe on the lower right hand side that goes under the car and up to the intake :( )

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ross said:
Got a Forge as well - the front bumper brace is not that difficult to cut, I used a standard jigsaw with a hacksaw blade, took about 5 mins
Tell that to my angle grinder :evil:

Took about 4 hours to fit all in all ( about three of those hours were fitting the b*****d pipe on the lower right hand side that goes under the car and up to the intake
That bit was pretty easy. :p :wink:

D

DodgeT

seems that forge is the preferred way to go,

what are peoples thoughts on front mounting the original intercooler, as shown on the "how to" section??

also the skyline i/c transplant??

im after similar results, spec will be,
goose, filter, dv, walbro, plugs, hks s-afc, apexi itc, clutch, some sort of front mount & im hoping to be able to run bout 1.2 so hoping for 300bhp mark :?

ps. sorry to hijack, but im after the same answers :D :D

Davey

forge seems the easiest to fit, there was some discussion a month ago as to the max power you can run with it,but think that was cleared up ok.
"most" of the higher power 'R's seem to favour japenese ic's (hks is popular) and some people have complained about the amount of samco/weight on forge's pipe run,but it's pretty cheap and i havent heard of any probs with it.
Skyline ic will require a pipe run to be made up, which unless you know some1 capable of bending and welding ally pipe, would be a pain in the ass

A

AJ4

That bit was pretty easy. :p :wink:
I hope your joking ! I lost my temper and most of my knuckles trying to get that one done :(

On the Forge - I found the build quality was excellent, delivery was quick and Forge customer service was really good. A bit tricky to fit - but you can keep your aircon if you want.

The only real problem i had fit wise was that the cooler sat an inch lower than where it was supposed to ( probably my fault ). I had to use longer bolts to wind it up, but it also gave me the advantage of bolting on my bumper at the front as well ( which was hanging off :D )