What do you think of labour time??? *Please read*

A

Az

Hey all, would like to ask your expert :D advise on something. I have just got my car back from garage where I had some work done. Tell me what you think of the labour times....

* Fit new Walbro Fuel Pump (as supplied by purplemonster :) ) = 1 1/2 hours

* Replace front and rear discs & pads = 3 hours

* Fit new oil filter and replace oil = 1/4 hour

* Flush & replace brake fluid = 1/4 hour

* Flush & replace gearbox and coolant = 1/4 hour

* Check & clean spark plugs = 1/2 hour

* Compression test = 1/4 hour

TOTAL = 6 hours

I'm told they also replaced a CV gaitor and welded up the exhaust which is not listed.

Do you think this timescale is realistic?

It's just it was a bit more than I was expecting, especially on the fuel pump and fitting of front and rear brakes discs & pads.

I'm told the fuel pump was not straight forward as it wasn't the same, so wires had to be cut and pipes replaced etc etc. I'm no expert so I'd like your thoughts please...

If you think it is about right, i'll calm down 8) if you think it's a bit excessive I'll go :evil: :x Cheers 8)

L

LoXy

I think the fuel pump will come close to an hour. but the discs and pads could be done 1 hour to 1.1/2 hour.

others are pretty reasonable.

mattygti-r

fuel pump is id say 50mins job and yes u have to snip wires etc, 90mins is a bit of micky take

the other things like removing i.c to do plugs in 30mins etc seems ok,

but the fuel pump id quibble about

and if they have done work on the R like the exhuast etc, take a look, prb just b/s you,

u also want receipt to show/prove that this has been done

GINGA

The changing of the discs and pads seems alittle excessive but the rest seems ok and you probably got a pretty good deal if they changed your cv boot and welded your exhaust aswell :wink:
As for fitting the fuel pump in 50 mins I'd like to see someone do that if they've never done it before :roll:

paz

They'll usually round time up, only thing I'd point out is the front pads and disks wouldn't usually take so long - but then a lot of garages will charge at least half an hour for oil and filter, so it looks alright to me.

paz

G

GAZ P

I work as a mechanic and have done all these listed jobs 6 hours labour sounds pretty fair.3 hours to change front and rear pads is a bit excessive but if they really did change a cv boot as well this would make the times about right.I also only charge £35 per hour & know loads of so called tuners who will charge at least double, just depends on what your total bill was.

M

Mr Overboooost

as far as i am concerned if anything they have undercharged you and done you a favour in the process.
all of those 1/4 of an hr jobs usually take twice that time so i guess they must have superman working for them.

cheers
gary

mattygti-r

yeah its a fair price for what uve had done

mate of mine did "bretts" GTIR walbro pump in less than an hour to change thou had done lots before so supose that dont really count

herbie

I would say that is about right. A person that I trust and is fully competant took nearly 2 hours to fit my Walbro.

A

Az

Hi all

Thanks for your quick replies, much appreciated. Ok I'm now feeling chilled 8) :D

As I thought the brakes and fuel pump were a little OTT but with CV gaitor and welding exhaust and doing the "little" things like spark plugs and fluids I suppose it's not too bad.

I'm all chilled out now, and yes the new fuel pump has solved my "holding back" problem, so now she feels meaty all through the gear and doesn't drop off / hold back any more, so feels quite a bit quicker :)

Cheers for all ya help :)

P.S Pushes me over £2k spent since buying approx 3 months ago :lol: :p No wonder I'm so tight and don't want to be ripped off :oops: :lol: :p

Stuff done: 5th gear synchro, helix organic clutch, new front and rear discs & pads (tarox 40 groove with green stuff front, standard with EBC racing rear), white dials, 10l oil. Argh scary :shock: :lol:

MarkTurbo

I'd say 6 hours to do that lot is pretty good really :wink:

1 1/2 hours to do the fuel pump is a bit slow, i did mine in 25 mins :D