What clutch for 400BHP @ 350 LBS of torgue

craige101

Hi guys iv read loads of posts about clutches and i hear that the rps max cluch will hold my power but as its a paddle clutch will be heavy

DO you have to go to a paddle clutch at this power ?

Is there any other clutches you recommend for my 400BHP @ 350 LBS of torgue

My car is road use and runs a quaife box

Thanks Craig

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Hi guys iv read loads of posts about clutches and i hear that the rps max cluch will hold my power but as its a paddle clutch will be heavy

DO you have to go to a paddle clutch at this power ?

Is there any other clutches you recommend for my 400BHP @ 350 LBS of torgue

My car is road use and runs a quaife box

Thanks Craig

i'd go for an organic, would try to avoid a paddle. better the clutch goes first before the box. the RPS max would be the one i'd go for, the helix is rated less but I think they are a lot stronger than they suggest

craige101

Whats the diffrence between organic cluthes an all other whats organic can sombody explain please ?
Also will a paddle clutch break a quaife box ?

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
RPS max street is organic or ceramic. The ceramic one does about 475lbft torque I think, the organic version does abit less but will be OK for you. It is heavy tho and I would fit an uprated clutch fork at the same time you fit the clutch.

MORF114

This is the clutch kit i have at the moment (extreme dcbxhd) I have the same horsepower and torque your after a clutch kit to handle and run a quaiffe box, the clutch is heavy but not too heavy definately need a clutch support braket and a uprated fork just incase although the sideward deflection of the pedal when depressed definately justifies the clutch support bracket.

http://catalogue.xtremeclutch.com.au/catalogue.htm

GTIR-LOZ

ive got the uprated helix its great i run 432hp on her fine you just get a bit od slip when launching but as i never do that its ok, handles evrything else fine and you dont need a strengthend clutch fork as it was lighter than my old helix clutch -which is a bit weird

red reading

you could just call the OS a box splitter, at least the box will hold together with an organic
never a more truthful word said,os giken twin plate's send to much shock through the pulsar boxes,have a look at how many cases have failed and what clutch was being used?!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I was told that mine has a Nismo twin paddle clutch - anyone know anything about them?
I've never had any problems, but I'm not running that much power and I hardly ever try to launch it.

P

pulsarboby

heres a very recent example of what an rps or heavy paddle will do to your pedal box and bulkhead, this has recently been removed (with great difficulty from a car we had in) its also torn the bulkhead to shreds

from my experience i would say either helix or ap are the lightest clutches, and you do need to consider this when buying one or it can be very costly to sort the problem out lol.
its a vicious circle if your running high torque as you need a pressure plate with good clamping pressure to avoid slippage, but too much can end with the above holy fcuking mess lol

ive no complaints (as of yet) with the os giken, the newer units are dampened so providing you dont keep launching the thing you should be ok, but they are costly and spares are expensive also.

John

The OS Giken is all well and good, but as stated above it likes to break gearboxes and pedal boxes.

I liked the OS when I had it on the car and the fact it had the lighter fly included was a bonus, but I now run a Helix and its far more civilised to use and a darn sight cheaper to buy aswell!

With the OS it was extremely annoying that it seemed either on or off and because of the weight or should I say force needed to use it, it made it fairly useless when in city traffic and hill starts were extremely interesting.

I would say for anyone that wants driveability stick with a Helix as it can handle good power/torque and is user friendly. The OS on the other hand is alot more expensive but will take more abuse and is suited more to track/drag use from my personal experiences.

Marty-Gtir

Just my two cents, Ive had a right ball ache with the Helix organic, and mine was being mapped when it started slipping at about 354 bhp/ 330 odd lbs/ft torque .....

The clutch was quite new and only had around a thousand miles on it... but i am running a CES front pipe which makes the car hit peak torque at around 4000-4500 rpm (reall good bit of kit)......which could be part of the reason the clutch started to slip ?

Im now in your position as dont really want a paddle clutch but need a very strong clutch .... The clutch i was looking at is the ACT extreem Organic , see what you think ?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/images/actxtplatea.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/act-xtreme-performance-street-clutch-kit-nissan-240sx-jdm-sr20det-8998-p-6895.html&usg=__fWJYZre8HIhJNfbGAM24jyQbfXw=&h=80&w=100&sz=25&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=WB8Bla_pKffelM:&tbnh=66&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3DNS1-%2BXTSS%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUK316%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

warringtonjack

The OS Giken is all well and good, but as stated above it likes to break gearboxes and pedal boxes.
Is this reputation not just gained from the drag racing crowd, when it will indeed send some severe pressure onto the end of the casing? As for track and fast road, I have no complaints so far. :)

JIMMYBACK

heres a very recent example of what an rps or heavy paddle will do to your pedal box and bulkhead, this has recently been removed (with great difficulty from a car we had in) its also torn the bulkhead to shreds

from my experience i would say either helix or ap are the lightest clutches, and you do need to consider this when buying one or it can be very costly to sort the problem out lol.
its a vicious circle if your running high torque as you need a pressure plate with good clamping pressure to avoid slippage, but too much can end with the above holy fcuking mess lol

ive no complaints (as of yet) with the os giken, the newer units are dampened so providing you dont keep launching the thing you should be ok, but they are costly and spares are expensive also.
holy shit bob:shock::shock: i hope mine wont do that time to get it renforced :thumbsup: