well this makes a change !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daz

only posting in here as i cant post in problem solving anyway heres the situation. took engine out 6 months ago to find that the clutch had fell to bits, this was after sending the gearbox to be fully rebuilt top to bottom at a cost of £1047 new fidanza flywheel fitted and new rps max street rated at something like 464lb/ft anyway all went back together fine car ran mint put the 3" down pipe on and had it remapped and power came out at 370 bhp and 320 lb/ft which i was chuffed about anyway cut a long story short a week ago started having gear selection problems knew it wasnt the box as this was happening in all gears so had to be something to do with the clutch. took the car to bits today and heres what i found..............

any ideas ...............

J

jiw

Looks like the tension of the springs is too much for the material of the disc :?

I'd send it back mate, good luck, ive had nightmares in the past with clutches and not won one :cry:

daz

looks shagged lol it is but she will be back on the road tomorrow no worries (just cause im good)plus well spotted paz :lol: :lol: 10 out of 10 hehehehe

daz

i am thinking of trying to reinforce the replacement but dont know how yet ?? but to say that this clutch can take 464lb/ft i thought this was pretty w@nk

kyepan

stress build up always happens at the corners, thats why the AP ones are drilled at each corner, so the round shape helps to distribute the load. If the springs are the wrong stiffness that can also cause the clutch to fail, too much compression, vibration, stress.. bang.

IE, not your fault, send it back to the manufacturer and ask them to put stiffer springs in and drill the corners before they supply a new one.. ;)

daz

not disputing what you say but dont talk to me about ap clutches as they are even worse to be honest wouldnt have one if it was free. my ap racing paddle clutch lasted 5 1/2 weeks before the spring came out and jammed behind the clutch cover

Dooie Pop Pop

i agree with Justin, iv had mine for 3 months or so, its been running 370lb ft of torque a lot of the time when iv driven it (high boost) iv also done 10 1/4 mile runs. on one go i did make it slip like a bugger which has been blamed on too much heat and a very heavy right foot.

iv not had any trouble with it tbh mate.

is there anything else that could cause you to have problems with your clutches?

stu

daz

full engine rebuild including new crank gear box fully rebuilt new flywheel so im kinda stumped to be honest. could uprated bits be in there that i dont know about ie lsd diffs and such things.

Dooie Pop Pop

you must have clutchfootlikeedd disease :lol: either that or your a secret caravan club member :wink: :lol:

glad to hear your still gonna make it this weekend. thats 3 of us that' ve had a problem at the last minute...these things come in three' s you know :wink:

buffalobilla) rear ended :(
me) cv boot destruction
you as usual) clutch

anyone else? :lol:

edited to add: i have nismo mounts fitted :wink:

S

srbpower

I'm chatting to RPS about this now.

Daz's car's managed to do this to an AP kit, an RPS paddle and an organic plate now. Very strange it keeps munching plates and it's always the PP side not the FW side.

RPS first impression is that something is causing overstroking of the PP fingers. I'll get more info on this and post tomorrow. Gotta get some shut eye now.

paz

daz said:
looks shagged lol it is but she will be back on the road tomorrow no worries (just cause im good)plus well spotted paz :lol: :lol: 10 out of 10 hehehehe
I try :lol: Years of training finally paying off fella ;)

paz

J

justin666

So your not comin to JAE on a tow truck again this year then mate.??? :oops: :lol:

Daz + JAE = Clutch death :lol:

Hope you get it all sorted anyway dude :)

J..

daz

no dooie thats where the springs have been rubbing on the pp due to the wear at the ends allowing the springs to move alot more. but the good news is that the engine came out monday changed drivers wheel bearing split the engine and box obviously choanged the rear main oil seal carrier and re did all my vac hoses in samco blue. tuesday refitted the clutch reassembled the car engine back in and drove it home tuesday night. so no i wont (hopefully) be coming on a tow truck this year boys lol. I think i need a drink or three friday night donations welcome lol.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

srbpower

Daz, here's that info I said I'd post for you. Defo something that you need to give some attn to mate or it's just going to keep happening.

This is a chat on AIM I had with Rob, the owner of RPS PP.

[23:28] rpsjerri: Some how he is overstroking the pressure plate fingers.
[23:28] rpsjerri: He may have changed the clutch master or slave with units that have a different bore size cuasing the movement of the pedal to be more than required.
[23:29] rpsjerri: He may have the pedal hieght adjusted too high giving him too much pedal stroke.
[23:30] rpsjerri: He may have the adjustable rod at the end of the master cylinder too long, cuasing too much movement.
[23:30] rpsjerri: He may not have a proper pedal stop on the floor, allowing too much movement.
[23:31] rpsjerri: Those are all the things off the top of my head that would cause the type of damage he keeps having.

Dan

O

Olly

Interesting but the springs in my mind wanna tear there way through the casing cos, a very strong clamping pressure, launching, hard gear changes, centre plate as useless as stock or AP all designed to do 235bhp, seen many AP's go like this...tear up throw springs out etc etc. Never mind i'm still backing Helix stronger and so far last longer, take a look at there centre plate... not the same as anyone elses. For real fast road use there is only one. 8)

Keira

Olly said:
Never mind i'm still backing Helix stronger and so far last longer, take a look at there centre plate... not the same as anyone elses. For real fast road use there is only one. 8)
2 years, plenty of abuse, 2nd gearbox and its still holding out 8)

wouldn't argue with you at all on that one olly :wink: