Well that didn't last long (clutch)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just short of 2 years and maybe 5000miles and the clutch is slipping under full throttle in 5th at about 4500rpm.:roll: So much for the Helix organic coping with 339lbft torque.

Where can you get RPS plates from? I couldn't find them when I looked to replace the friction plate last time.

Fusion Ed

Hmm, This is one reason I don't use organic any more. Would be interested to see what it looks like when you get it out.

IMHO I've been using competition clutches in all my customers cars for the last 4 years. Not had to replace any yet.

a friend of mine is using a Competition clutch on his forged engine and so far no issues. He is running JUN 264 cams, Darton liners,JE pistons,Pauter rods and a large T3/T4 turbo at 1,5 bar of boost...
Very good clutch

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It was RPS but due to what felt like a bad clutch judder I had the friction plate changed to a Helix organic uprated one. The cover is still RPS and the flywheel cyn-r-gy. Unfortunately it made not one bit of difference to the suspected judder.:doh: Allegedly the RPS plate was breaking around the springs, but I never got to see it.

I do a lot of urban driving in traffic which is why I prefer organic. Allegedly ceramics are a nightmare in traffic due to the aggressive bite point.

Do s14 clutches fit? I saw a site claiming ps13/s14 clutches fit the gtir and the s14 has a much bigger range.

get a ACT organic disc with the extreme cover and it will never slip again! Yes the S14 clutch fits, just the release bearing is different

vpulsar

I'm trying to sort out a clutch for my new car at the moment, Or rather Danny is lol. The trouble is I don't think I could use a paddle these days due to being old and having dodgy knee's, I wouldn't last long in traffic that's for sure if the clutch is to stiff, I'll only have around 400 bhp and similar torque hopefully so there must be something out there that isn't to grim to use.

But Carl you drive it like it's been stolen so good luck finding something lol.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Allegedly the RPS plate was breaking around the springs, but I never got to see it.
That sounds about right as mine did the same, I did try to weld up the cracks but after about 6 months is just cracked again!

I went Helix in the end, will see how long that lasts... :hide:

the problem isn't in the disc material, but in the pressure plate. Pressure plate is what makes the pedal stiff...
You can go for a double disc one, pedal is a bit softer..

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
This is one of the ones I found yesterday http://www.srbpower.com/products/ACT-CLUTCH-Nissan-200sx-S13-{47}-S14-SR20DET-Extreme-Organic.html
http://www.srbpower.com/categories/NISSAN/200sx-S14/Clutch-and-Flywheel/

What's the competition clutch like? especially in traffic? What are they rated to?

TBH I reckon if I'd left the RPS intact it wouldn't be slipping. It's rated to 400lb/ft ish (can't remember the exact figure) just wonder if the plate would have held or the fork would have gone again. lol.

Nismogti-r -do you have that ACT clutch? What's it like? The RPS was very heavy until you got used to it but it was OK in traffic.

Fusion Ed

It was RPS but due to what felt like a bad clutch judder I had the friction plate changed to a Helix organic uprated one. The cover is still RPS and the flywheel cyn-r-gy. Unfortunately it made not one bit of difference to the suspected judder.:doh: Allegedly the RPS plate was breaking around the springs, but I never got to see it.

I do a lot of urban driving in traffic which is why I prefer organic. Allegedly ceramics are a nightmare in traffic due to the aggressive bite point.

Do s14 clutches fit? I saw a site claiming ps13/s14 clutches fit the gtir and the s14 has a much bigger range.
In that case, your right to go organic, and not too heavy. The judder is caused by a warped flywheel. You need to have it ground on a flywheel grinding machine - and replace the cover. Do not have it done on a lathe as the heat work-hardens the flywheel and won't cure the problem as the lathe tool cannot cut the hard areas as quick as the 'soft' ones.

S14 clutches DO fit, but you need a gtir release bearing. Ceramics are ok in traffic, but they don't like to be slipped, so will actually wear faster if its all urban driving.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I have the cyn-r-gy segmented flywheel in which you can replace the segments. Finding them is a different matter though as so far I can't. I thought it was also supposed to stop warping.

Fusion Ed

I have the cyn-r-gy segmented flywheel in which you can replace the segments. Finding them is a different matter though as so far I can't. I thought it was also supposed to stop warping.
Bet when you take it off you will see heat marks on them. Had a few of those flywheels here as well. Not sure they are a good idea with organic however, organic I'm sure shouldn't be on a segmented flywheel. I wonder if you will find more wear on one side than the other. Its a bit like how grooved discs eat pads quicker.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
a friend of nine has the ACT expreme and organic disc on his S14.pedal is quite stiff...
Any idea how it compares to the stiffness of the RPS max street organic? IE clutch fork breakingly stiff or lighter/stiffer?

Ed I see what you're saying. My RPS didn't slip after about 4 years (can't honestly remember) guess the Helix uprated just isn't as strong.

have never been able to test a RPS clutch mate, but the ACT with EXTREME cover is really heavy...heavier than my previous AP paddle and heavier than my OS double...

red reading

Funny as I have run two cars with helix in and never had them fail one was running 420lbft of torque and abused like a mofo and the other was 300bhp and launched all the time, I would be inclined to say the synergy flywheel has some issues as well if it was glazed when the helix plate was fitted that won't help, then of course was it a brand new helix plate?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There are two Helix cover plates aren't there? One with uprated clamping, and one with not much more?