Welding Advice

bracpan

Any Pro Welders here as I need advice on buying a Mig....its for building a chassis welding CDS tubing and other car panel work...

I have been looking at these MIG Welders Welding & Cutting

What your oppinions ? Any better makes for simular money ?

Cheers

Phil

red reading

They do plasma cutters as well but you need a compressor with enough flow rate to be able to cope with them, they are who I and many others use as they are inverter rather than transformer type elders and there warentee is fantastic, they can supply all consumables , and you will want .6-.8 mm wire for the mig, gas wise get a mix of co2 and argon of between 5-15% , and never try to use mig is a draughty area as you will get pourius welds...finally don't bother with flux no gas wire as it's shit!

littlewimp

iv'e just bought a 180 AMP R-TECH welder for use at home in my workshop to replace my old snap on set and i must say its a cracking piece of kit, i do know the owner of r-tech guite well and as they are pretty close to me i pop in there now and again, they did tell me that the 180 migs were selling like hot cakes, the beauty of the inverter is that you have a infinite control of the amps so you have no excuses for blowing holes in the thinner panels ! as stated use the correct gas and you wont go far wrong.

robins

i do know the owner of r-tech guite well

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]group buy on mig welders did you say [/FONT]:)

bracpan

Cheers for that lads, looks a dam good price as well. Looks good for body work as well. Whats the max tickness?

I have an Inverter Arc set and thats so much better compaired to a normal Arc set.

I have been let down with the chap building my car so back to DIY...

Last edited:

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Root welding and cap I have done 20mm thick with 180 welders , so more power than you need most I could see you welding is 6mm which they will do with ease in single pass.

Jon Olds

Good thread. My mig is fairly useless. Also thinking about upgrading. I have an inverter for stick stuff and love it.
Also, my machine mart facemask is pish poor, anybody have any recommendations?
Jon

robins

i would be intrested in one as been using a old snap on mig that has had better days so thats a possible two

bracpan

I agree definatly interested in one of these in the New Year.. ( had orders off the Mrs to sort out christmas first lol )
As you said a group buy might be a good idea? I have been given another contact in the same area who sells these so will look into this as well.
Many thanks for all your input..
Phil

littlewimp

Hi Phil. i deal with most of the companies around Gloucestershire for welding supplies due to owning a fabrication/ machine shop. if you need any help just let me know.

bracpan

Fantastic you have all been a great help , will try and sort things out next week and buy it after Christmas....will have to see if Santa brings me some more cash to add to the welder fund.

I have looked at lots of feedback on line and they look like very good welders and a good company to deal with...one part in a very complicated jig saw sorted...cheers.