weird clicking / clunking from front

GTI_R

i have a weird click / clunk noise coming from what i think is the front end .

Happens somtimes when you turn lock to lock you get one clunk .
Sounds like from front left .
and happens when you set of . happens when clutch is down between gearchanges .
and then also happens when you press the brake .

i've removed my strut brace and the noise is less loud with it removed but you can still hear it .

now i've checked all the suspension is tight underneath .
It's fully polybushed .
Has new trackrod ends .
Checked all the engine mounts are tight .
Even though at one point it might have been the exhaust but it's not ..

could it be a strut top?
do they fail?
any sugestions

also when i was having a look around i had one front wheel jacked up and was able to spin the wheel ..
is that right?
i always thought with a 4x4 you wouldn't be able to spin wheels

j0ff

if it was just when turning i'd say could be the strut top bearing had died, but you say it happens when pulling off and changing gear which sounds more like wishbone bushes / ball joint.

I think the diff on the front wheels is open, so yes, you can spin one of the wheels independently

GTI_R

just been out and really paid attention to the symptoms ..
when driving along and you put clutch in and coast and you swerve/yank hard on wheel to the right it clicks / clunks
if your driving it doesn't click / clunk ..

also if you go over a speed bump it also makes the noise..

ball joints , drop links etc are about 10,000 miles old

j0ff

i assume that when you yank it over to the right it only clunks the once? It's not a repetitious click click click? I'd still say ball joint or wishbone bushes, but i'm no pulsar expert - i'm sure someone on here can give a better diagnosis.

Engine mounts? Wheel about to fall off?!

danr

i thought full lock noise is driveshafts? clicking/clunking?
mine clunked on full reversing out of drive, was front lower arm rear bush.

j0ff

i thought full lock noise is driveshafts? clicking/clunking?
mine clunked on full reversing out of drive, was front lower arm rear bush.
It would be CV joints if it was clicking repetitively. A single clunk is normally suspension parts moving to relocate under stress when a bush or joint is worn.

rich1216

Mine was doing the same recently and it was the springs had just give up from age. They hadnt snapped but was no tension took them to bits without even needing spring clamps.:-o

GTI_R

drive shaft nut is really really tight ..
had a good feel around with a pry bar and the only thing i could feel with any play is the cv joint / drive shaft .
with the wheels on the floor i grab'd the drive shaft and it goes in and out a little i.e between gearbox and hub maybe 3mm .. and has a tiny bit of rotational play at the cv joint ..
think im gonna try a cv joint but unsure how a cv joint would click when the cars stood still .. i.e with engine running going lock to lock and got 1 clunk / click

j0ff

have you tried just wiggling the wheel (as if checking for wheel bearing movement) while the wheel is off the ground? 6 oclock / 12 o clock will show ball joint issues, 9oclock 3 oclock will show track-rod end movement.

there's meant to be movement in the driveshaft in the direction of the gearbox/hub (at the inner CV joint), as the suspension travels up and down, the distance between the hub and gearbox changes. If the wheel is on the floor (as you said) when you checked the driveshaft, then the movement is in the outer CV joint

If the car is stood still when the click is heard then it's more likely strut-top bearing has died or seized or collapsed completely (the clunk could be the top plate of the strut moving on the spring) , perhaps even a problem with the steering rack.

gtistevo

Did you find uou what this was? I have the same problem thats just started but is doing it more n more each time i drive it.. its really annoying

GTI_R

Nope never found out what it was .. replaced both from ball joints , drop links , track rod ends , changed suspension , new cv joints ,
New suspension bushed , ARB bushes , Greased up the spring mounts incase the spring was moving
Thought i'd cured it when i then i braked turning hard into a round about and i got the CLUNK and then as accelerated out of round about it CLUNKED again .

I'm now thinking it could be the stabiliser mounts on the engine .

My engine is coming out soon so i'm just gonna havea good look over it once it's out .
Getting new clutch , turbo , bottom pulley , and a few other bits

vpulsar

Nope ..

is that the stabiliser link?
The front of the rear diff is mounted with two bolts I can't remember because it's been over 5 years since I've worked on one whether it is a solid mounting or rubber, Maybe worth checking because if the come loose or worn they can knock as you accelerate and decelerate.

GTI_R

Defo sounds like it's comming from under my feet , more drivers side

Will check the underside next week