weird brakes?

nex

I know the 'r brakes are considered to be poor but im sure I have an extra issue to add. My brake pedal travels about 2/3 before really having any affect or being firm. You could literally push it 2/3 down wih you little finger, then they last 1/3 is solid and you have to put alot of pressure to get the brakes to act. is this typical is something wrong there?

the system has been bled through and I've just fitted goodridge brake lines with no real sign of improvement. :doh:

any ideas?

cheers

Garef

If you took your calipers off make sure u put them back on the correct side, I took mine off once and what ur describing is exactly what happened to me, because I put them back on the wrong sides. If not, them maybe your brake master cylinder is goosed.

Last edited:

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Things to check -

Is the brake fluid a $hitty orrible consistency or did it have all new fluid when you fitted the hoses ? If you don't know how old it is then change it - Dot 5.1 will do nicely. The oil starts to retain moisture so instead of giving good pedal feel it goes all spongy - not good!

Check for leaks on the master/slave cylinder - does sound like one of 'ems knackered.

Re-bleed (corner to corner).

Check you've not got leaky calipers or hoses (i had a goodridge snap on me - amusing..not!)

Are your pads and discs in good nick ? Long travel could mean worn pads and if the discs have seen better days then they really wont be helping to stop you in a hurry!

Just a few ideas - hope they help!

Cheers,

donpulsar :)

nex

I'm pretty sure the calipers on on the right sides as the bleed nipple is on top, without checking wouldnt it be on bottom trapping air if they were back to front?

Noleaks to be seen. It's been bled twice now and all fluid is brand new. The pads/discs arent the best, but I cant see they'd be causing this issue.....might get a new master cyclinder see if that helps..........

the joys!

GTIR-LOZ

some people with abs find if you have the car running when you blled the brakes they seem to bleed better

davey red.r

nex said:
I'm pretty sure the calipers on on the right sides as the bleed nipple is on top, without checking wouldnt it be on bottom trapping air if they were back to front?

Noleaks to be seen. It's been bled twice now and all fluid is brand new. The pads/discs arent the best, but I cant see they'd be causing this issue.....might get a new master cyclinder see if that helps..........

the joys!
ive got a master cylinder for sale if you want one,
id try it as a process of elimination,
hey who knows it may be that,
im only wanting £20 delivered.

davey

nex

cheers mate, just a thought - could it be the brake booster at all? if I get in the foot well and press the brake pedal it makes a "hiss" like its letter air out from somewhere, is this normal?