Weighed my car again today.

ShayneG

I think I'm gonna try and get a balance inbetween, I wanna save weight but I don't want the car to look sh**e in side cos I have stripped it to the shell. I am going to remove some of the obvious though :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I have a carbon bonnet on the way (eventually :roll: ) and if I went to bucket seats, removed the aircon and put smaller tyres on, I could probably save another 50odd kilograms without changing the look of the car. :wink:

GINGA

LOU ROB said:
How much diffrence in weight is there between standard bonnet and the carbon bonnet :?:
Alot :lol: I lifted Memski's glass fibre one at one of the shows and instantly noticed the huge difference in the weights :shock:

kirko

carbon bonnet weighs about as much as an empty yoghurt pot
standard one weighs sh*t loads it is well worth the money,
ive just got rid of my pesky aircon and have got some buckets to go in

LOU ROB

I think i'll give cfx a call and see what they can do 8)
The air-con and a few oyher useless bits have all been ripped out of mine :)

skiddusmarkus

I've had a company contact me regarding carbon fibre door cards(fronts and rears)if anyone is interested.I haven't seen pictures yet but have seen tehir other work and it was very good.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The Turini c/f (same design as memskis fibreglass one) bonnet weighed in at about 8kg. Has anyone weighed the origional?

I

Innovate Performance

Just a quick comment to add, We fitted a Carbon bonnet to our R33 GTR and it weighed more than the origanal alli one. :(

Thats to say that it was a Copy of a Top secret one.

If it is a wet lay carbon bonnet then it maybe lighter or about the same weight it depends on it it is backed with fiber glass of carbon.

Now dry carbon is what you want for the weight saving the whole bonnet would weigh about 1-2 kg, :D they look sh*t thow cause the don't have a gloss finish.

James
www.innovateperformance.com

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I weighed it again today because I've fitted the CFX bonnet and taken off the aircon since I last weighed it. I also took the passenger seat out for the weighing just to see what the car came down to.
She tipped the scales at just over 1160KG with hardly any fuel, so about 1170 with the passenger seat back in (My RB seat doesn't weigh 15kg that's for sure, but I forgot to weigh it before I bolted it back in :? )

nismoboy

skiddusmarkus said:
I've had a company contact me regarding carbon fibre door cards(fronts and rears)if anyone is interested.I haven't seen pictures yet but have seen tehir other work and it was very good.
sounds good :wink: any idea on prices? and how much weight could be saved from changing the standard ones with carbon fibre ones?

nismoboy

ive stripped a few things out of mine and it does make a difference, but i dont want mine to look crap.

another few weight saving ideas?

tubular manifold? surely these would weigh less than cast iron one.
new brakes to replace the standard cast things?
electric waterpump?
carbon door cards
remove sunvisers
single wiper conversion?
light weight pullies
lightweight prop shaft
carbon or fibre glass boot lid and spoiler?

are there any parts in the car that we need to keep that could be lightened?

maybe carbon ash tray?
carbon glove box?
carbon dash panel (the one under the steering wheel?)
carbon fibre rocker cover? could this be done? this would save a few kgs?

anyone got any other ideas? or good things to remove to save more weight?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Not weighed it today, but I've just put some smaller tryes on and saved about another 4kg :lol: