Wanting 500+ bhp on new engine rebuild

stevec gtir

Well I've taken engine out and in the process of rebuilding it, would like your info on the build ie best cams Pistons rods ect, also would like to go down the route of single throttle bodie, so as much information will be appreciated

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Hello Steve, not meant to be a lame answer but I'd recommend trawling the Technical section on engines. Sometimes I search for stuff and find my own answer from 7 years ago! I guess you're pretty clued up and the wiki is well structured so you can then come back with specific issues. We're all a bit geeky around here so most people won't just give you a shopping list and tell you it will be okay.

As a starting point where do you want to use your 500hp? Are you looking for a track only weapon or a street car that spends most of its life off boost?

What turbo are you planning to use, GT3076, GT35R? There's rumour a GTX3071 will get you there nowadays though I can't comment on whether that is true.

Single throttle bodies aren't necessary for 500hp

Mad

Hi Steve,

There are different options to go but as campbellju said, best to give us an idea of what you want your car to be as that will help us give you a proper spec up.

Here is my build which should give you an idea - http://www.gtiroc.com/index.php?threads/mad4its-gtir-602bhp.56962/

A couple of pointers -
Rods not essential at 500bhp but recommended
Use standard head bolts / studs, do not use ARP ones, they tend to lift the head
I have a single throttle body on mine, to be honest, I cant remember where it came from or what difference it makes.
ECU makes a lot of difference. Nistune and Apexi are the most common ones and will do 500bhp. After that, I would recommend Syvecs and speak to Ed at Fusion Motorsport as he is the best gtir mapper in the UK and beyond. If you dont get hold of him, keep ringing, he dont like answering the phone lol.

stevec gtir

It will be used on road and track doesn't matter how bad it is for road use, as be a weekend toy, only asking because a lot of threads are old on here now and want to build a engine that is reliable for more than I want, want to cover everything I can while it's off the road

Fusion Ed

Ed is a victim of his own success. - He does good work, so everyone wants him.
Massively humbled by such comments. Sure not everyone feels that way but everything I do has always truly been for the best outcome possible. Its hard job, but the rewards (seeing the cars come to life) are worth it if you stick with it long enough.

Mad

It will be used on road and track doesn't matter how bad it is for road use, as be a weekend toy, only asking because a lot of threads are old on here now and want to build a engine that is reliable for more than I want, want to cover everything I can while it's off the road
Look here Steve - http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/tech/tuning-guides/tuning-nissan/pulsar-gti-r

You will need a quaife box to run 500bhp too.
Turbo wise I'd go with a gtx3076 or HTA3076.
If your happy with mid to late 400's go with a gtx3071

stevec gtir

Thanks mad, I will be taking it to ed to get mapped and syvecs looks like the best for power, I'll give ed a call at some point as wanting him to build the engine when I've sourced all the parts I'm wanting, had a clutch off ed before Xmas and seems a nice bloke

Fusion Ed

Just a thought, if you would like to go that route, give me a call to discuss options etc. Just so that I may be able to give advice to make life easier. :)