Valve shims/tappets

goshko

Hi guys, does anyone know where I can find brand new valve shims/tappets as I was told nissan does not make them anymore.

Thank you,

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Are you happy making your own? Boby has a method for using a set of feeler gauges and nibbling out shims from them.

goshko

I have no idea what numbers I need as I am planning on rebuilding the engine soon and I was getting prepared if ever some of mine needed to be changed as my engine is pretty damn tappety at the moment lol ...

P

pulsarboby

lol that clip makes the job sound much more complicated than it really is....and the thicknesser pieces hes using are too loose, they need to be cut with a 6mm joggler.

he also measures them from the rocker arm to shim whereas its far easier to measure between the back edge of the cam to rocker and use 2 feeler gauges at a time to measure or the rocker will tilt.
and you do not have to remove the cams to do the job.

hes right with one thing though.....it does work if done correctly

GTI-R Nath

Would a 6mm hollow punch work alright. The cheapest joggler i can find is £60 and i don't want to spend that unless i have to, since i would probably only use it once.

P

pulsarboby

well this guy seems to think it will but i personally wouldnt want the shim pieces in there loose.
the way i see it is if your gonna do a lash up at least do a proper job of it lol

im lucky now as i have built up a collection of proper shims over the years so i use those on our engine builds but at the start when i first bought an R this is the only way i knew to get over the problem of the lack of availability and price of the real shims
as ive said time and time again, it is a lash up but is one that works, but if you can afford and obtain the correct shims then do the job properly.

if needed and you want to use this method then let me know the sizes of shim pieces you need and il cut them for you
we charge a round fee of £25 to cut them and send out to you all marked up in little parcels (this includes us buying the feeler blades)

GTI-R Nath

he was using a 5.5mm hollow punch in that video thats why i thought you were saying his shim pieces were to small, and was just wondering if the 6mm hollow punch would of worked better. also what would the correct clearance be as well, he done 0.21mm in the video but iv seen other posts saying it should be 0.15mm

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

yep nissan state 0.15mm between rocker arm and cam

the thing is you dont have to precisely stick to those measurements as the gaps get bigger the hotter the engine gets so even if you have a .005mm gap (cold) that will be fine
also if using the feeler blade route dont use smaller than 0.10mm pieces so for example if you have a clearance of say 0.20mm then use a .10mm thicknesser and bring it down to 0.10mm

GTI-R Nath

ok thanks for the info bob, didn't know the gap increased when the engine got hotter, that will be why my engine sounds fine when i turn it on, but then starts tapping really loud after a drive

danr

I can see a gti-r-us youtube video how to in the future? you can also make money off letting google put adverts on it ;_)

lol that clip makes the job sound much more complicated than it really is....and the thicknesser pieces hes using are too loose, they need to be cut with a 6mm joggler.

he also measures them from the rocker arm to shim whereas its far easier to measure between the back edge of the cam to rocker and use 2 feeler gauges at a time to measure or the rocker will tilt.
and you do not have to remove the cams to do the job.

hes right with one thing though.....it does work if done correctly