Valve diffrances

zer099

I have a sort of basic question: Are all SR20 valves the same?

Story: So I am about to start my second project engine and wanted to do some heavy head work. I know the VE breaths the best out of all the heads, but I wanted to keep wit the R head for this project. I found some +1mm valves (both intake and exhaust) but the seller says they are for the VE head. So, my question is do we know of any diffrances in the SR20 valves, or should it be safe to say that if the valve works in one SR20 it will work in all of them?

Thanks!

noriek2003

they are different between the de, det53j and gtir. iirc the valve stem lengths are different on the de cant remember the other difference, i'll have a look at the sds in the fsm later and post it up. I know that the det53j oversized valves are all listed as not suitable for rnn14.

As far as im aware off the shelf you can get +1mm for de, +1mm for det53j, +1mm for ve but unless custom or special order nothing specifically for the gtir.

with abit of work its probably very likely that you could use one of the others but wont be a straight swap

zer099

What's so special about our valves? I've scowered the FSM and the only diffrance I can fine is that they are 0.7mm longer give or take. Other then that nothing else is diffrent that I can find. Is that is what is really screwing us on finding replacement valves and oversized valves?

noriek2003

theres a difference in valve margin aswell, but other then the length, theres nothing in it. Cant see why without abit of machining you couldn't use the +1mm for other sr's, unless of course theres something glaringly obvious thats being overlooked.

the people to speak to would be mazworks i'd guess.

zer099

All SR20DET exhaust valves are sodium filled.

The problem with machining them is that length would need to be added. One recommanded to look at the other chassis' and see if a similar valve could be found, but that could take forever. I guess it only matters as much as one cares.

noriek2003

All SR20DET exhaust valves are sodium filled.

The problem with machining them is that length would need to be added. One recommanded to look at the other chassis' and see if a similar valve could be found, but that could take forever. I guess it only matters as much as one cares.
i'd look at machining the head where the valve seat sits and going that way with it, no idea how much hassle it would be, looking at the data the seats are all to the same specs ?

although if you are sticking with a 2 litre why do you want over size valves ? the standard sizes are pretty much the same as an evos and theres plenty of them making good power on standard valves

zer099

From what I've been read (all the FSM for the S, B, & N chassis') all the seats are the same.

I plan on going to 2.2L. But it's not just that, I was just noticing how hard it is to get valves for us in general. And our intake breaths great, but our exhaust side blows.

zer099

Actually, I just got a reply from Supertech. I'm sending them a spare head so they can look it over. I think they are going to start making valves for us.