Using a 200sx turbo

gsk2000uk

Hi all my turbo has gone tits up so ive been looking for a replacment but i have found out they are like gold dust, someone mentioned you can use a 200sx t28 but have to change one of the housings,
Has anyone done this and is it the cold side housing that would need changing.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's your first post, have you actually asked anyone on here if they have one?
What's up with it that the cold side needs replacing? Normally the bearing goes and that can lead to damage on both sides, unless something's gone through it, but the filter should prevent that, or the hot side can crack.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm guessing that the Silvia turbo is really only any use as a soruce of spare parts; I can see the logic though. If you've got a T28 turbine with a good core, you could rebuild it with the compressor from another.

There's more than one turbo on the Silvia though (depending on what year it was); and some of them have the T25 turbine. Ours is different because it's a 79 trim whereas the Silvia is mainly the 62 trim. What that means in the real world, I don't know.

I'd also be concerned that it's not going to be balanced if you just have a go at it yourself; they internals are mving at pretty high speeds (14,000rpm?) so the slightest imabalance can cause terminal problems (like the wheels hitting the housing).

By all means, if you've got a quick and clever fix, let us know (and we'll marvel in your glory).

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Ha! The irony is that I'd typed 14,0000 and thought "that looks wrong, I'll take the last '0' off the end". - Either way, my point still stands.

I know that people like the BB core of the later JDM Silvias, but as stumo says, they're smaller... so you get less boost (and therefore power), but you get it sooner.

There's not really any getting around having to pay to have a turbo replaced/repaired; if you cheap-out you'll just pay in the long run... even I've worked that out, and I've got a habit on doing things on the cheap as much as I possibly can.

skiddusmarkus

Start a wanted thread if you have posting privelages for it.By all means change the turbo, but for something better.Not for an inferior one where you might have to mess about swapping housings.

PUL54R

I'm sure I have an old turbo at work, bearings went on it but the casing may be ok, i will have a look tomorrow if it's any good. If you pay the postage you can have it?

gsk2000uk

Thanks all,
Ive had a look at most of the breakers and no luck so far, im taking the turbo off this afternoon but from what i can see so far the seals have failed as theres oil in the inlet side.
Bit of history on the car, i bought it as my daily driver as i have a skyline that ive rebuilt as a track car, the prevois owner had blown the bottom ends and cracked the crank, i managed to get another engine to drop in as i wasnt planning to push the bhp up to much other wise i would have done a full rebuild on the origional one, so far all ive done to it is new front wings, powerflex bushes, replaced the old ball joints and drop links,new clutch master and slave and full braided line,FMIC, SS manifold, hks filter, blitz boost controller,ebc brakes,new 52mm radiator and electric fans, ssqv bov,3" system ebow back,and a 255 fuel pump, the next job was the respray but thats on hold now till its back running right.

Last edited: