usefull info for you's

P

pulsarboby

ive noticed lately that there has been a lot of fuel line associated fires on cars
read this as it may save you a burnt out pile of metal.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publicatio...f-carburettor-icing/bioethanolstudyreport.pdf

i recently had a major fuel leak at brands hatch where i was lucky the car never went up in flames, was a braided line so hid the rubbery gunge underneath, luckily it blew in the pitlane and not whilst out on circuit

basically its saying that ethanol traces have been discovered in many fuel stations which are not compatible with many types of fuel lines so failiures could occur

Last edited by a moderator:

warpspeed

I'm lucky I don't have the same problem since I'm using LPG but it is a big concern with most cars around now and it's not just aftermarket braided lines with the issue, major car manufacturers are having loads of problems too.

P

pulsarboby

yep thats true
it seems this is becoming a major problem on many cars but older cars are obviously more at risk.

theres a guy on the tvr forum thats just had his car explode at a junction after spending 18k on it, it just had a service but had braided lines fitted which hid the problem.
luckily he got out in one piece but doors wouldnt open due to the electronics going up in smoke by the time he pushed the door button but luckily the overide handle worked and he got out only to watch his pride n joy go up in smoke so was a close call

i now wont be using braided lines as ed has quoted above they just hide a multitude of sins as i found, at least if you can see the lines then you can identify any problem pipes

MarkTurbo

i now wont be using braided lines as ed has quoted above they just hide a multitude of sins as i found, at least if you can see the lines then you can identify any problem pipes
As long as you use decent ones that are ethanol/methanol compatible theres no need to worry. I ran my Sunny on E85 (85% ethanol, 15% petrol) for quite a while when Morrisons used to sell it on their forecourts and i've never had any issues ;-)

I think a lot of it is just a load of old b0llcks, when they talk about it affecting older cars they're talking about stuff way older than our cars ;-) Before i started using E85 i read all the storys that it'll corrode the fuel system, eat the fuel lines, tank etc etc I stopped using it about 2 years ago now and i'm still using the same fuel lines (some braided, some rubber) now with no issues.

At the moment petrol company's are allowed to use 5% ethanol in fuel but that'll be going up to 10% next year. E85 was the best fuel i've ever used, you could chuck as much ignition advance as you wanted at it with no det and using it massively lowered the engine running temps 8)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
A
I think a lot of it is just a load of old b0llcks, when they talk about it affecting older cars they're talking about stuff way older than our cars ;-)
I don't know about that. - Remember that show "Road to LeMans" with the bio-ethanol powered Aston Martin? That's a pretty modern car that had been mapped to run on ethanol fuels which broke-down because bits of plastic in the fuel system dissolved, then got stuck in the inlet.

Having said that, I'm not sure that the current 5% load really contributes to that much damage; that article does seem to be more concerned about carburettored engines, and the comments about the fuel system seem to be limited to microbiological contamination (i.e. shite growing in the tank either getting loosened and into the engine from the ethanol, or actually encouraging the growth), and switching steel lines to something more corrosion resistant. PTFE lines, butyl rubber, and nitrrile rubber, are all listed as being compatible with E10.

warpspeed

I think a lot of it is just a load of old b0llcks, when they talk about it affecting older cars they're talking about stuff way older than our cars ;-) Before i started using E85 i read all the storys that it'll corrode the fuel system, eat the fuel lines, tank etc etc I stopped using it about 2 years ago now and i'm still using the same fuel lines (some braided, some rubber) now with no issues.
Porsche have said that none of their cars up until new models are suitable for the 10% fuel and that ALL the previous models are only suitable for up to 5%, that doesn't sound promising does it? Not sure what other manufacturers are saying.

I've had an '05 Renault Kangoo van on 90k in recently, it was run on bio-diesel for a spell, the hp pump has completely disintegrated sending nice steel dust into the injectors and back into the return pipe contaminating the whole system, £2.5k job on a £1k van! :-o the owner is having me fit a 39k pump, re-con injectors and a thorough clean of the fuel system which means removing tank and pipes for high-pressure cleaning, I know this isn't petrol but the issues are still the same.

Also the diesel issue could rear it's head at sea, after all who wants to buy fuel with a much higher percentage of water in it to help 'bug' growth?!

P

pulsarboby

how gutting must this be:shock:
i certainly wont be taking that chance mark, every fuel lines gonna be replaced on my cars with at least something i can see is likely to melt or whatever.
you may be just lucky, or on the otherhand the gremlins may be eating away inside your fuel lines as we speak.

for some im sure that will be good news, if you know what i mean lol

Hybrids

When I had a Chimaera it had braided lines that went down the bulkhead, one of the first jobs I did was to replace them.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If they're teflon cores with a braided outer you're laughing. - There's nothing that's going to attack that.

Fusion Ed

just imho avoid the braid. Seen so many problems caused with braided lines. They rub/wear wiring looms/body work etc, cant see internal conditions, much of it is cheap Chinese crap. Imho just not worth it.

P

pulsarboby

just imho avoid the braid. Seen so many problems caused with braided lines. They rub/wear wiring looms/body work etc, cant see internal conditions, much of it is cheap Chinese crap. Imho just not worth it.

totally agree with that

Jon Olds

Agree with sentiments on braided lines. ie don't.
Another issue is the degradation of the rubber with time. I fitted new stuff to my rally cars and < 2 years later is was all cracked, ready for replacement again. Cheap chinese junk probably
Jon

MarkTurbo

Have any of you got a link to the braided hose you've used as its obviously s**t :lol:

You need to be paying at least £20+ a metre to get the decent stuff, the ones on my car have been there for at least 7 years and they've had nearly 2 years use with virtually pure ethanol ;-)

red reading

Have any of you got a link to the braided hose you've used as its obviously s**t :lol:

You need to be paying at least £20+ a metre to get the decent stuff, the ones on my car have been there for at least 7 years and they've had nearly 2 years use with virtually pure ethanol ;-)

And who do you work for? Lol

MarkTurbo

I'll see if i can dig out some information on the lifespan of the hose i've got on my car today. This will be where i find out that it should have disintegrated a long time ago :lol: