Urgent Gearbox Help Needed!!!

P

pulsar360bhp

Hi All,
I have been having a few probs with the box lately. Started off with 5th gear crunching. Then moved onto 3rd and 4th. Not all the time though, just when it gets warm on faster speeds.

Then yesterday after a 60 mile trip down the M6, came off the power and onto slip lane, went to go from 5th to 4th and the gear stick just went all over the place. Now the gears select ok but the stick itself has positioned the gears wide apart and it feels like neutral when its in gear!!!!!!!

Any ideas?? Do i need a new box? If so anyone got one?

Thanks

Jin

O

Odin

pulsar360bhp said:
Hi All,
I have been having a few probs with the box lately. Started off with 5th gear crunching. Then moved onto 3rd and 4th. Not all the time though, just when it gets warm on faster speeds.

Then yesterday after a 60 mile trip down the M6, came off the power and onto slip lane, went to go from 5th to 4th and the gear stick just went all over the place. Now the gears select ok but the stick itself has positioned the gears wide apart and it feels like neutral when its in gear!!!!!!!

Any ideas?? Do i need a new box? If so anyone got one?

Thanks

Jin

It would be a safe bet to say its f*cked lol, You need to get it rebuilt while you still have enough of it left to save.

How many miles has your car done ?, I was told by the gearbox man that the pulsar gearbox should be treated like a service item :shock: :lol: , He said rebuild every 25-35k if you use the car very hard.

Rob

P

pulsarboby

ive got a good s/h one if you want to go down that route! pm me for details if interested

P

pulsar360bhp

The car has done 87,000. Think you might be right!!
I have just had the engine rebuilt from Scratch, what you get for not doing the gearbox i suppose!!

Any suggestions for places to take it for a box?

P

pulsar360bhp

Thanks pulsarboy...

I have got the car booked in Wednesday to have a look at it quickly, just to make sure it is shafted! Im sure i will be calling you!!

The mechinic is Leicester (goes by the name of OZ) thinks it maybe the gearbox mount or Syncro!!

P

pulsar360bhp

Oldin,
I have called them and they are quoting £175 + VAT to rebuild mine. Which i thought is very reasonable. + labour of course.

P

pulsarboby

you mean plus parts £175+vat is there labour charge! its the parts that cost an arm and leg;-)

O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
you mean plus parts £175+vat is there labour charge! its the parts that cost an arm and leg;-)

Yup I think that will be labour only, It's £300 just for the bearing set alone never mind anything else you will need :shock: ;-) , The good thing is though, That once it's done you know you've got a good box again, Unlike the unknow of a second hand unit even if it is one of bobby's good-en's ;-) .

I just don't like fitting second hand boxes because if it goes t1ts up it an engine out job again :doh: :cry: .

Rob

P

pulsar360bhp

Yes your right, just not worth putting 2nd hand one. Plus the idea after running it at Santa Pod at Jap Show is to sell it. The project is complete so need something else to keep me busy!! Dont know what i will get for it yet though.

Here is the spec:

Wisbech Pistons & Rods
HiTec Engineered Block
Forge Front Mount
Nismo Paddle Clutch
Knife Edge Crank
HKS cams
600cc Injctors
GT35 Turbo
Mongoose Exhaust
APEXI Boost Controller
APEXI SAFC
Emanage Management

Full paint job (Black)
17" alloys (Brand new Tyres)

Thats all i can remember at the mo, lol, oh yes and of course fully recondtioned gearbox soon!!!

MarkTurbo

Odin said:
Yup I think that will be labour only, It's £300 just for the bearing set alone never mind anything else you will need :shock: ;-) , The good thing is though, That once it's done you know you've got a good box again, Unlike the unknow of a second hand unit even if it is one of bobby's good-en's ;-) .
Thing is you could quite easily spend £600+ on getting a standard box rebuilt and theres a good possibility it might only last a couple weeks due to the fact our gearboxes are completly shite (rebuilt or not) :lol:

P

pulsarboby

agreed!
tbh with you, if your thinking of flogging it i would chuck a s/h one in it, it is a good box with no graunching or anything, and im not just saying that because i sell them;-)
but as mark has said, anything can break at any time with a gtir box, and they wont rebuild it, they will only replace bits that they can see is wrong with it, so youll end up with it costing you more money which you wont get back when you flog it!

but your choice at the end of the day fella!

P

pulsar360bhp

Pulsarboy i think you could be right on this one. The old box comes out tommorrow so will be in touch with you!

P

pulsar360bhp

Hi
Had some excellent news!! Its the linkage that had given up. The gearbox is fine!! PHEW!

Thanks for all your help guys, big thanks to Gordon @ Streetracers in Leicester for solving the problem and building the engine!!!