Uprated gearbox casings

red reading

I have been in talk's with a company regarding the above, they will be sold as a pair on exchange basis and will stop this end case explosion problem on lauching the car, price will be decided at a later date but should be under £1000. a set are being made as we speak for me and i will produce a picture once i am happy, there is various elements in there design including one off welding of billit aluminum section's to the casess and a lot of CNC machineing/programing to produce this but it is still a shed load cheaper than a billit 1 off case (i was quoted over £10,000 for this!)

Tell me what you think gent's/ladies

red reading

sounds exspensive!
Cheaper than blowing £3500 worth of gearbox on the floor,To under stand what is involved in making this you would realise it's cheap and the people who are making/machining it up make gear box's for mclaren,ferrari,lamborgini,bugatti etc... so to get thing's like this done by them at a price like this is dirt cheap,sh1t just getting them to program a 3-axis mill for there day job would cost more!!

johnsy

Cheaper than blowing £3500 worth of gearbox on the floor,To under stand what is involved in making this you would realise it's cheap and the people who are making/machining it up make gear box's for mclaren,ferrari,lamborgini,bugatti etc... so to get thing's like this done by them at a price like this is dirt cheap,sh1t just getting them to program a 3-axis mill for there day job would cost more!!

i see where your coming from now!

Trip

Interesting too.. Although how stronger is it compared to a braced and cryo threated case ?

Trip

:lol:

50mm will probably be as much as you can go without hitting the inner wheel arch.

Cryro threatment and bracing the case is the max (within a decent budget) one could do to strengthen it before this invention.

Did not really understand your last comment though.

red reading

Cro treating the end case is not worth it due to the fact the case is thin and weak where it fail's,no amount of heat or freeze treatment will cure that....

My comment you dont understand mean's i dont go much on cryo treating cheap cast aluminium!

dencon

This looks very interesting, any time factors at this time?. Would welcome more details when available. den.

red reading

This looks very interesting, any time factors at this time?. Would welcome more details when available. den.

As soon as the first is made i will show piccy's to those interested,timescale wise i'm taking the first cases in friday afternoon to start the machineing (the set they have at the moment have been cut for me to use as a jig for building gearsets up and for them to take measurement's off)

red reading

Think this is a golden opertunity and please pursue it..... very interested!

I am, vss irvine is having a set to distruction test and i am having a set first. It is something the car need's and the one part no one has really bothered with (bar the bracing idea's).......... till now

Braveheart

I am, vss irvine is having a set to distruction test and i am having a set first. It is something the car need's and the one part no one has really bothered with (bar the bracing idea's).......... till now
I hope it turns up trumphs..... rooting for it and saving up for the end results.. :thumbsup:

Trip

If this will save a 3K gearset + labour.. It will be worth every penny.

Does it require sending the whole gearbox or just the end case ?

kirko

Iam defo up for one of these;-)
pm me details of exactly what they are doing pretty please danny:)

p.s are they welding these up with dummy shafts and bracing?
as Tony Bardy was telling me they once had one welded
and it warped like a bitch:?

cheers David

RO_SUNNY

Cro treating the end case is not worth it due to the fact the case is thin and weak where it fail's,no amount of heat or freeze treatment will cure that....

My comment you dont understand mean's i dont go much on cryo treating cheap cast aluminium!

In my opinion cryotreatment is not going to help with anything because cold will destroy the intergranular resistance of the material.

If you want to help a material to get stronger you need to heat it up to an exact temp and then keep it that way for a certain amount of time....and then of course cool it .....The procedure is so called quanching and tempering.

For fine grain alloy like the aluminium there is not much helping with quenching and tempering or with cryo ''sh1tting''...the only thing that you can do with aluminium is warm it up until 300 Cdeg in a forge and then forge it properly.....but you can't do that with an gear case.......

And the story can go on pages and pages.