uprated camshafts Q's

coxie

i am ready to buy some uprated camshafts for my r.

what make do people reccommend

are tomei 260 cams any good.
what duration is best to go for- for fast road application.

i have heard of hks 264's,tomei 260's but no others.
what others are there and where can they be purchased from

nismoboy

Ive got hks 264`s (11mm lift) and there pretty good,but if i was to do it again i`d go for the tommi 260 (12mm lift)ones. The only drawback is that they are high lift and need uprated valve springs, but they should give u more power than the hks one.

I

Innovate Performance

JUN make 264 also and thats about it really.

Then you are left with 272/270 and 280's

Kent and piper also do cams for the R but i don know what they are like.

Sweeny

Everyone seems to rate HKS 264's but if i were to buy some cams again i'd get either DP motorsport racing spec Piper Cams (same as lou rob) or Tomei 270's, but you might need uprated springs with 270's :( .

coxie

:) what is the lift of the standard cams.

can hks 264 cams be used in a standard or ported head
would you need new springs etc
would rocker stoppers be needed.

nismoboy

Coxie said:
:) what is the lift of the standard cams.

can hks 264 cams be used in a standard or ported head
would you need new springs etc
would rocker stoppers be needed.
standard cams are 10mm

yes they can.
no. but they would need re-shimming
as a saftey precaution yes but u dont have to.

coxie

8) what kind of gains in bhp and lbft would you get with a hks 264 cam fitted in to a ported head :?

are both intake and exhaust cams 264. :?:

does the idle become lumpy with these cams. :?: even slightly :?:

Mr GTiR

i've got custom Piper cams which are 270 duration with 11.5mm lift. I've got some rocker stoppers with these and adjustable pullies to match.

ADR spec'd them up and fitted the lot to a standard head with stock valves. Piper said this set up would be fine.

Stu, you've heard how my car ticks over and i can't wait to see how much ait these cams will flow 8)

R

robinsongtir

what effect does more lift on a cam make to hp and torque while we are on the subject

turblio

I just had mine RR'd and got 325ftlb of torque and 333bhp at just 1.2bar
and mine is fitted with 264's and mild porting so very good torque gain with little drop off :)
Frank

A

Anonymous

robinsongtir said:
what effect does more lift on a cam make to hp and torque while we are on the subject
should increase them if the head/plenum/turbo can supply the extra air that the extra lift/duration will allow.with higher lift/duration cams,it's supposed to move the power/torque further up the rev range making the engine a bit peakier but,i didn't find that looking at my power graph :?

coxie

8) when fitting cams i presume it would be better to port and flow the head?or is this not true

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Coxie said:
8) when fitting cams i presume it would be better to port and flow the head?or is this not true
It'll be worth doing. Combined with uprated cams, you should see good top end gains, but don't be surprised if you lose out on your bottom end and the idle could (but not definately) be abit rougher, but that realy depends on how wild your cams are.

coxie

:shock: i thought cams might help down in the lower rev range.

is this the case wether you port the head or not and fit cams :?: :D

Mr GTiR

is porting and polishing the head really worth the money :?:

i've just bolted on a big turbo and wild cams and have been told that's fine :roll:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've got cams on mine. Was looking at porting and polishing but money and time were getting tight during the build and I thought a bigger turbo in the future would be more effective per pound.

Cams definatley have made a difference. Generalising widly, people with cams seem to make about 20hp. Couldn't comment on the porting as most people don't just port to give a true reference.

Jim

A

Anonymous

Coxie said:
is porting and polishing the head really worth the money
thats what i need to know mate as i am preparing for this part of my r overhaul.
i suppose if you were going for really big power,as in 500bhp+,it would become a necessity but,anything below that mark you probably wouldn't need to do it.

if you had the money and the time to get it done without worrying about it,i'd do it anyway as it might help with driveability.

i've got 12.5mm lift and 270 degrees duration with an allegedly ported head and it idles ok but revs sweetly :D how much of this is down to the mapping of the power fc though :?:

Mr GTiR

oap-r said:
Coxie said:
is porting and polishing the head really worth the money
thats what i need to know mate as i am preparing for this part of my r overhaul.
i suppose if you were going for really big power,as in 500bhp+,it would become a necessity but,anything below that mark you probably wouldn't need to do it.
I was told the same thing, unless you are going for really BIG power then it's not really needed. As someone else has said, the cost per bhp is not that great compared to spending the money on cams and turbo :wink:

I hoping to get over 400bhp on a standard head but have 'wild' cams @ 270 with 11.5mm lift and a big turbo.