Upgrade from 285mm to 310mm Wilwoods

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Although this topic has been brushed over quite a few times, it still seems to go on unanswered. :?
At the moment I have the Wilwood Midilite 285mm kit from Rally Design, but what I want to do is progress to the 310mm with out having to get the whole kit, basically just disc’s (bells) and the bracket.
Has anyone actually done this yet; successfully and replaced their 285mm for 310mm?

Personally I’m not going to go out to buy a whole new bloody kit if I can just swap a couple of bits round.
If it’s been tried and it cannot be done then I would be appreciate if people could tell me (shed some light on this) or visa-versa. :)

Cheers

Last edited:

rayman75

i remember asking the same question, i think kieran answerd that the 2 calipers are different. so i decided to keep the 285 kit and go down to 15's best decision i made as the 15's transforms the handling of the car.

Keira

when i originally got the yellow heap it had 285's on it, i wanted 310's so rang rally designs. They told me that the calipers had a different internal size where the pad sits, or something like that, cant remember what it was now, 25mm and 32mm rings a bell. It was a long time ago now :lol:

anyways,

i sold the 285's and got the 310's. The 285's went before the 310's turned up so i never got the chance to compare to see if the sales chap was talking out of his a-hole, in hindsight, suppose i could have taken some measurements of the caliper that was with the 285 kit and checked against the new kit but wasn't really that fussed.

if some one has a new 285 kit they could measure the caliper and i'll whip one of my mine off and do the same, (the front end is in pieces again at the mo so no hassle to do :lol:) just to see if its true or not.

unless of course someone has actually gone up to the bigger disc already with no issues.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Keira said:
unless of course someone has actually gone up to the bigger disc already with no issues.
You've hit the nail on the head! It’s all a bit hearsay (not the musical monstrosity) about 285mm to 310mm. Could do with someone to confirm that they have done it or at least tried and understands why they didn’t work.

However I might take my callipers off tomorrow and have a measure. iirc RD do have some dimension on the site about the Midiltes, might be worth a look.

Keira

they have different calipers for different disc widths according to the site, 31.8 and 25.4 being the first 2 listed so the chap was probably right..remembering 32mm and 25mm cant just be an odd coincedence :lol:

if you measure your disc it should be the 25.4mm wide, the 310's i have 31.8mm

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Andy, next weekend you can take mine off if you want, see what differences there are and do a trial swap?

Mr GTiR

When i set up this group buy ages ago part of the deal was that both disc's would be able to use the same calipers and people with 285 kit would be able to upgrade.

It would be good to get this cleared up once and for all.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
campbellju said:
Andy, next weekend you can take mine off if you want, see what differences there are and do a trial swap?
That sounds a great idea Jim, then we can finally get to the bottom of this myth :thumbsup:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Mr GTiR said:
It would be good to get this cleared up once and for all.
Yes you can 8) 8)

Sorry for the long response, forgot all about this thread... :oops:

So in short you can upgrade from 280mm kit to the 310 with no problems

The 310mm kits comprises of two longer calliper bolts and a couple of poly washers used as spacers
After that its jut the 310mm disc and spacer ;-)

If anyone says that they don’t fit or the disc "won’t fit" or "the callipers due to having a different internal size where the pad sits" is a load of crap.

Everything fits and just to confirm 100% I used DanDuds 310mm disc, washers and bolts on my car and they fit perfectly using my 280mm kit Midilites.

280mm kit

310mm kit

Easy ;-) 8) :-D

rayman75

well done andy, so the caliper carrier is the same but it just has a spacer and a couple of washers???

what would be handy andy is if you could get the measurement of the spacers, and maybe the bolt length and some piccies of the bits and i will set about try to find some bits.

top job mate, one of the age old answers answerd.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
rayman75 said:
well done andy, so the caliper carrier is the same but it just has a spacer and a couple of washers???

what would be handy andy is if you could get the measurement of the spacers, and maybe the bolt length and some piccies of the bits and i will set about try to find some bits.

top job mate, one of the age old answers answerd.
Yeah pretty much! All that is different is the threaded bolts which are longer (around 3" long) that connect the calliper to the yellow/gold coloured bracket and a pair of poly washers (one pair for each side) that are used as spacers

Then its a case of the removal of the old 280mm disc and replace with Wilwood 310mm disc and bell :thumbsup:

If someone has a 310mm kit perhaps they can measure the bolts and washers for 100% accuracy, other than that just make a quick call to rally design to order the 310 upgrade ;-)

Mr GTiR

fubar andy said:
If someone has a 310mm kit perhaps they can measure the bolts and washers for 100% accuracy
My car is coming off the road soon so will quite happily strip one of my brakes down to measure things for you.

Can someone remind me in 2 weeks time as i'll forget.....

Braveheart

fubar andy said:
Yeah pretty much! All that is different is the threaded bolts which are longer (around 3" long) that connect the calliper to the yellow/gold coloured bracket and a pair of poly washers (one pair for each side) that are used as spacers
Andy, sorry but I'm surprised and confused...:oops: :?
The "yellow/gold Brackets" is that the brackets that were supplied with the 280mm kit.
I'm struggling to understand how you can fit 310mm in place of 280mm without bringing the caliper 30mm from the hub.