Tyre changing

timmy

Apologies in advance for the long post.
I had 4 new Goodyear Eagle f1's fitted to my r about 8 months ago. Noticed the other day that my front drivers side tyre was worn a lot more than any of the others so took it to the garage and they got it up to have a proper look and it had virtually no tread left towards the edges. He said my tracking is probably way out (which I suspected anyway) but couldn't check it because that tyre was so far gone. I'm getting 2 new front tyres of the same kind fitted to go on the front and then they can set up the geometries. I'm just wondering about whether it's OK just to put new tyres on the front. I know you're supposed to do all 4 but like I said it had 4 new about 8 months ago so the ones on the back that are staying on have hardly been touched. The guy at the garage said that as long as the tyre treads are within 2mm of each other (which they will be with the new ones) then I'll be fine. Just wondering what anybody thought.

B

blr123

Hi Timmy,

No tread on the outer edges mean that the tyre has been OVER INFLATED :shock: similarly if there had been excessive tread wear in the CENTER of the tyre that would mean UNDER INFLATION :shock:

If the tracking is out it usually shows up as excessive wear on EITHER the outer OR the inner edge but not both :wink:

Hope this helps :wink:

Cheers Bryan

J

J-GTi-R

I agree with Bryan, that doesn't sound like a tracking problem. Be warned though, there is no camber adjustment on the front and even at standard ride height, the factory camber will cause inner tyre wear at the front. Because of this I regularly run two sets of fronts to every set of rears, as they definitely wear much quicker and I'm not chucking a perfectly good set of rears away, just because the fronts have gone.

S

Sunny Nutter

blr123 said:
Hi Timmy,

No tread on the outer edges mean that the tyre has been OVER INFLATED :shock: similarly if there had been excessive tread wear in the CENTER of the tyre that would mean UNDER INFLATION :shock:
tis the other way round dude,
over inflation is wear on the centre of the tyre
and under inflation is wear on the outside edges of the tyres!

Timmy, do you have a camber adjustment kit fitted?
if not.....get one asap it will save you a fortune on tyres!
the camber cant be adjusted as standard on the R and if you have lowered her the wear on the inside edges of your front tyres will be enormous! :?

whiteline do a camber adjustment kit for very reasonable money compared to the price of 2 new tyres!

B

Ben Chandler

Agree with Sunny Nutter. I've slammed my R and not played with the camber. Big mistake! Checked the tyres for the first time in ages and the two fronts are down to the wire! :cry:
The backs are fine thou - I've only done about 4000 miles.

Time for some Whiteline handling gear and a new set of fronts! :roll:

timmy

Cheers. My cars standard suspension wise. Where do I get one of these camber adjustment kits from and how much are they?

skiddusmarkus

Wearing the tyres out on the edges on a car like ours,usually means you've been sliding it about.The NSF is usually the worst cos of the understeer on roundabouts.

J

jasegould

Ive lowered mine and its been fine, after lowering the tracking had changed by about 30mm so I reset it, and rechecked it later as the suspension settled.

B

bean

I've fitted Whiteline springs and Koni shocks recently, the car is getting serviced/setup at Powerstation next week.

Should I get them to do full 4 wheel alignment? Also, what other parts will they have to fit to do the alignment?

J

jaigtir

Bean, get the 4 wheel allignment done, i had it done when i had the whiteline kit fitted. They adjust the camber, allignment, wheel centreing. They also fitted the bumpsteer kit too.

A

Anonymous

Yeah the 4 wheel alignment is a must, otherwise theres no point as you will simply be wearing tyres out.

Inside edge wear can also be caused by knackered dampers, in fact most of the time it is due to this rather than camber etc. And also goodyear eagle f1 are quite a hard compound so wear very slowly.

Check your dampers, then get it aligned.